Author Topic: Any one suggest a good cheap economical run about ?  (Read 3846 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Any one suggest a good cheap economical run about ?
« on: August 13, 2010, 11:29:24 pm »
My daily car is about done now, I need a car that's reliable economical to run tax and ensure as well as be reasonably comfortable for drives to London to see my dad and long journeys to pick up car parts !!  Gotta be able to do short trips across town aswell any ideas ?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Any one suggest a good cheap economical run about ?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 09:23:56 am »
what's your budget?

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 12:21:14 pm »
Bout £2k-2.5k thinking about an 03-04 reg tdci 1.4 ford fiesta at the moment

Offline Raw

• Members
  • It ain't dubbin 'less her thighs are rubbin'
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 07:54:51 am »
Why go away from the VAG family? Surely £2.5k would buy you a good Mk4 Diesel polo?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 09:45:33 am »
I would say mk4 golf tdi or passat tdi.  Not keen on those fiestas really, I liked the one previous to that shape but I don't think those ones are a great buy for that money. 

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 11:22:43 am »
Lupo or Polo 1.4TDI and get it chipped. Decent performance once chipped and uber economy. Cheap tax too.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 11:36:27 am »
Found a couple of 1.4 tdi that I'd have but they've got a well small boot and I need a boo big enough to fit large car parts in I.e. Pair of seats, engine crane (non collapsable type) engine stand those sort of things managed to fit all those bit in the back of my corsa at the moment although with the seats down it's quite big in the back. Would also quite like aircon/climate controll for long cruises.
    Wouldnt mind a passat but wanted a hatch back realy so I can fit things in the back n dnt fancy a passat estate little to big. Tried a mk 4 golf n didn't like them had a gt tdi felt combersome and heavy. Would have the polo just with a bigger boot would be ideal ! 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 11:56:09 am by dub-disaster »

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 01:13:20 pm »
Hate to say it, but a MK3 Mondeo. Aim 54plate ~ £2.5k, ~100k miles. Diesel of course - 150, 130 or 110bhp.

Cheap enough as they're common as muck being fleet vehicles. Spares are common for the same reason. Nice big hatchback boot and Ghia/Titanium models come with all the creature comforts. Good MPG too.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 02:11:02 pm »
Having a look at polo tdi estates now they seem to fit the bill nicley bit over my budget most of the ones I want though so mite have to wait a couple more months.

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 05:31:11 pm »
Transit connect ;)

Offline giorgio

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 07:00:59 pm »
I would say mk4 golf tdi or passat tdi.  Not keen on those fiestas really, I liked the one previous to that shape but I don't think those ones are a great buy for that money. 

Get a Bora. You can get a fully kitted out 6-speed 115bhp for that money. A Golf of similar spec etc will be 3-4k

I get 60-65mpg as long as I stay within the realms of legality (ish). Even when I drive around my runway at 80-90 It never drops below 55.

Dont get the 150bhp engines as they tend to eat boxes, as do the 130s but not as often.

And also - stay VAG as it will hold its money.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 08:29:47 pm »
Going to look at a skoda fabia comfort tdi with sports pack so it's got the vrs bodykit from factory. ( I don't have to declare this to insurance do I ?) got the 100bhp tdi engine I can remap if needed aircon 52 plate I'll put a picture up if I get it and it's within budget.
     Any one know any common faults on these ?