Author Topic: audio upgrades???  (Read 2143 times)

Offline gti jack

• Members
audio upgrades???
« on: August 12, 2010, 06:43:02 pm »
yo,
i am a proffesional car audio installer and have fitted many of things in to many of cars and no a fair bit about brands etc,
but obviously the polo g40 isnt really a car that pepole tend to do massive upgrades in (not what ive done anyway lol) so im asking for some help!
all i want is some bass, the car does have upgraded speakers running off the headunit wich is a waste of time without an amp, but due to the size of the speakers in the dash and the rear and the speakers having no zone to contain sound so there really shite,

what have pepole done in order to achive some good sound? i was thinking false floor in the boot, and speaker pods in the front but to me the pods seem way to exspensive for what they are,
be good to hear what pepole have done  ;)

jack

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
Re: audio upgrades???
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 08:32:25 pm »
In my old G I had some Infinity Kappas in the standard front locations but I had to cut the inner ring of plastic from the dash to fit them in as they were slightly too large and some Mac audio speakers in the rear shelf (were already in the car when I got it). I ran them and a 12" sub off a Denon 6 channel amp and it sounded ok. I dunno whether it was due to the size of the front speakers and their postioning or my Alpine headunit but the only problem I had with it was it was a bit too bright for me. When turned up a bit certain sounds could be almost painful. I wanted to swap the headunit out eventually for something a little warmer and swap the 12" sub for a 10" as I dont listen to anything that bass heavy.

At the moment I have the same Alpine head unit running some Boston components in the Audioscape door pods run from a JBL amp and now I've fiddled about with it a bit it doesnt sound too bad. I still think it needs a small sub for a bit of oomph though. The sound is just a bit too thin for me, bearing in mind I've been listening to the Editors, Cribs and Led Zeppelin today its not like I've got any happy hardcore on. It can still be a little bright at times too, I may have to steal the Becker that is in the missus's car to test it.  :-X The standard speaker locations are just terrible though, you can gloss over this a bit with a sub though, but obviously you lose the boot space.

Offline Varley

• Members
Re: audio upgrades???
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 12:49:44 pm »
I run Focal 165X components (the kevlar ones), mids in audioscape pods, tweets on brackets under the factory dash grilles with a 10" Alpine type X sub in a sealed box all running off genesis profile 2/profile sub amps which I've got mounted in a false floor type arrangement in the boot.

I also use a standalone 5 band EQ/preamp with my mp3 player, (nothing goes through the headunit at all) and I've decent quality interconnects and cabling and that. I find quality to be spot on and really tunable with the EQ.

Got dynamat everywhere (3 layers behind the pods) which makes a really big difference in what is a bit of a coke can to start with, next steps are to soundproof the floor (currently just deadened) and maybe add another identical sub/amp - then we'll be really rollercoasting! Although my current set up is crisp clean anyway, you gotta love the subs though!

No reason you couldn't do something comp standard in an olop, just appreciate you're starting with a rattlebox!