Author Topic: Lance's G40 turbo with ITB's  (Read 37881 times)

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: Lance's G40 turbo with ITB's
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2012, 10:45:57 am »
Proof is in the podding!

Should be low 12s if you can launch well and the dyno tells the truth  ;D

Will compare the cams tonight, I'm genuinely shocked it makes peak power below 6k, what's it like on the road?

Pete

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012, 08:44:12 pm »
haha shockingly you're the first person to say the dyno could be wrong. i expected a lot more.
should launch well with launch control. I'll prob run toyo 888's. can get them cheap enough with working at camskill now.

havent driven it much but i am driving it on friday to take it for mot. so i'll find out what its like on the road. from how much i have drove it, it feels good. could be the bodies helping me make power below 6k. it just has a flowed head with slight valve work but not enlarged. what cam do you run?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2012, 09:06:31 pm »
Don't take it the wrong way- I don't really trust rolling roads, what did it make at the wheels?

1/4mile terminal speed is a good indication of power, even if you're traction limited in 1st/2nd the terminal speeds will only vary a couple of mph. I'd expect to see this at 115mph+  ;D

My cam is a 268/268 Schrick copy, I'll compare them tomorrow at work, I guess mine at (crank) 220bhp (rolling road figure) so I'm trying to see the 30bhp gain yours makes with a slightly larger trim turbo and throttle bodie, and also why the power is much lower rpm...  ???

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2012, 10:50:00 pm »
Don't worry mate i wont. even if it was 220 bhp id of been very happy! i was aiming for anything over 200 anyway. johnny that does the mapping for me is very very good. he maps nick barnes corsa which has around 600 bhp. the bodies will help me flow as much air as my boost pipes allow my charge temps are very cool. and timing is just about perfect. other than the larger turbo mine i cant see why mine should make so much more than yours, mine is on dta management but that shouldn't make a difference if you can map yours. I'll see what i get on the strip then mate. last time i run on a local 1/4 mile strip day (shit surface) i reached a terminal speed of i think 99 mph. I'll have to dig the cards out. next drag day is September.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2012, 08:52:20 am »
I'm 100% convinced this will make more power than mine (I'd hope so!) I'm interested to see the benefits of throttle bodies, it's more when it makes power that's got me baffled, possibly smaller valves, different cam timing, and less boost (but more flow). I need to get my engine simulation working!

Sounds like he’s done a good job on the mapping, I think several people get too hung up on peak power figures, especially at rolling roads days- the car is still as quick as before going on the rollers  :)

Andy worked out a way to implement ‘launch control’ with digifant but it’s quite a crude system, has DTA got sequential injection and ignition? I.E you can pull spark/fuel from individual cylinders not as a batch?

What are you doing for front wheel speed? There’s some electronic speedo drives on early Ford Fiestas you could use, if you can calibrate the input on DTA, then use golf rear wheel sensor and job done – that’s quite a nice feature to have.

Have you got DTA doing boost control too? Again nice feature to have, as you can limit boost in 1st/2nd (saving gearbox/driveline) then in 3rd give it full boost, presume DTA can do that aswell- again it’s just time to calibrate it.

99mph is ~180bhp (+/- 10bhp!) I'd expect 115mph+ (helmet required!) I think my fastest terminal is 112mph, be good to see it, are you coming to VW Action?

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2012, 07:49:53 pm »
honestly mate you wont meet anyone who cares less for bhp and all the bragging rights. as long as it feels good to drive am happy. i have built the car for me nobody else.

yea the dta runs the boost through a n75 valve. havent done in gear boost yet but that is interesting about the fiesta speed drive. cheers. i am fitting a speed sensor the the rear left wheel and make trigger marks on the rear disk. all thats needed for the launch control.

i am trying to get time to come to action. think i am gonna have a run to cumbria vag in it on sunday see what its like on a run. then its booked in the bodyshop next week and am away to Greece after that. but i'll try to get to action. id expect something to break on that sticky strip!!! maybe take spare cv's and a shaft. gearbox too and maybe clutch.....

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2012, 09:23:05 pm »
Quick heads-up - Yoof might've just found the limit of stock G40 rods.  :(

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2012, 10:59:21 pm »
ouch! has it let go?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2012, 07:11:19 am »
Yup! Strangely I thought of your car after it had gone, not sure if its taken the head with it yet (I'm guessing yes)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2012, 09:23:19 am »
only just seen the updates from july in this thread.  Great to see it together and making such good power lance.  You said it was wheel spinning, is that what happened at just under 6k rpm when it makes it's peak power, drops off and then starts going up again?  get some fat people sat on the wings :D

heard about yoofs too, not good!

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2012, 07:32:26 pm »
yea well on one dyno run boost dropped for a second and i didnt know why but now i do.......... new turbo required as the blades touch the wall on the cold side on full boost so bearings are shot!

new turbo time but im undecided whether to go same size turbo put uprated rods in and get 260bhp or gt2554r and run 220bhp maybe a little less. my car is just a road car really with living so far away from tracks and having such little free time. plus i'll be selling it next year for money towards a house...

worst part being my car is worth more in bits but it will hurt to break it.

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2012, 07:59:52 pm »
i fully understand your view here as im similar, it would be really great for you to go ahead with the bigger turbo and make some top power!
cant say i've ever heard or seen a 260bhp t40.

i think it could possibly been down to bad luck or long periods of running major power in yoof's car thats done his rods in, your could well be fine but it is a large risk!

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2012, 10:38:39 pm »
Just get your current turbo rebuilt? Try turbo dynamics: http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/services/turbo-repairs/cost-of-repair/

They're fairly good and hopefully you'll not need a new compressor housing.

I'd go with a set of new rods, I think there may be a few people getting them!

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2012, 11:45:56 pm »
hm got me worried..

its about £ 870 for rods and piston kit..

but i am at the stage of building my engine ... :-/

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2012, 07:51:05 pm »
its about £500 pound for a new cartridge for my turbo with it being ball bearing, and have found a company that will sell the turbo to me for a little over £700 and i'll get about £100 pound for my turbo id say as the wastegate always cracks on them so people always want spares.

i'll look into rods then, maybe build another motor up.