Author Topic: Where to buy brand new earthing straps / Earthing positions  (Read 1641 times)

Offline DazzaP

• Members
The car is going to get a major service next month :
Fuel filter, Coilpack, Plugs, Leads, Dizzy Cap & Rotor arm, few wee relays etc and new timing belt to try and get her running 100% before getting her set up on a rolling road as the PSD chip i have seems to be causing her to run quite rich. Anyway, the earth strap running from the chassis behind the d/s headlight => charger is missing, the strap from the bonnet => the bulkhead is snapped, and the strap from the gearbox to the coil is rather worse for wear, wire from the -ve terminal on the battery down to the inlet is sound.

What i want to know is where to buy replacements from, i want to renew all of them at once for consistency. Also are there any more i've missed? Just out of interest too, on the AWT Eaton M45 conversion, where is the best place to secure the earth coming from the chassis? Theres very few options as the belt sits so near.

Thanks very much.

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
Re: Where to buy brand new earthing straps / Earthing positions
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 10:42:38 pm »
The earth wire on mine attaches to one of the end plate bolts near one of the tensioners. Might have a pic. i'll have a look.

Offline DazzaP

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 09:29:37 am »
That would be great dude, im very interested too in your tensioner set up too, this AWT kit seems a bit basic.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 09:54:13 am »
I just bought some chunky black earthing cable and some solder/crimp on ends from here:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu

Cut the cable to length and strip the ends to the depth of the solder/crimp-on ends, put the solder/crimp on end in a vice, get a blow torch on it, fill it with solder and then push the stripped end of the cable in and hold it still till the solder solidifies.  And for the finishing touch, put some heat shrink over the join.

Offline DazzaP

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 10:45:34 am »
Thanks very much mate, thats absolutely perfect! I'll order them now.

Have you any idea if i've missed any of the other earthing points?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 11:15:20 am »
I think you've got them all, I've never bothered about the one that connects to the bonnet hinge though.

I do have an extra earth wire running from the lambda earthing point on the inlet manifold directly to the battery negative, doesn't need to be thick chunky earth cable.

Offline DazzaP

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 06:37:42 pm »
Thanks very much hayesy your a ledge!

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 10:26:43 pm »

Side on pic of charger ;)

Earth usually bolts to one of the end plate bolts (the one thats missing!)