Author Topic: steering problems  (Read 3033 times)

Offline camone

• Members
steering problems
« on: June 06, 2010, 08:56:14 pm »
Alrighty,

Im having a problem with the g40's steering.
Since building it back up this year and replacing the drivers side steering arm and passengers tie rod ive come across a problem.
When I stuck the wheels back on and dropped the car back to the ground I noticed that the passenger wheel was pointing out by a good bit so I adjusted the passenger side steering arm both at the end that attaches to the rack and the tie rod end to bring the wheel back in line ie roughtly tracked up.
Now to achieve this ive had to wind the adjustable bit of the passenger arms right out so there is between 1/2-1inch of thread left screwed in on both ends of the passenger arm. This seems a little dangerous as id like there to be a bit more thread holding my steering etc.
Now ive read another thread on here with a simialr problem and that turned out to be the drivers side arm being too short but ive measured mine and its the longer version ive got, even with the shorter one, my problem would be amplified.

The other part of this problem if we ignore the fact that there is too much thread showing on the adjustable bits is when I full lock the steering to the right the front of the passenger tyre contacts with the inside of the arch/chassis leg so much so that it will stop the car driving on full lock.
When on full lock left the drivers side tyre is fine.
The suspension set up is an H+R cup kit and I have the g-lader ARB blocks on and they are fitted so the wheels are sitting further forward that standard.
I have tried the car with 2 different sets of wheels, first set where my low offset 7x13 with 10mm spacer and second set were polo 16v 6x14's and both catch.
The only thing i can think of is that I have the wrong threaded middle section on the passenger steering arm ie its too short.
Could someone measure the length of both steering arms for me and if anybody has any clues for what to try as this really is the last hurdle i need to overcome before mot time!!!

Offline cheys03

• Members
Re: steering problems
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 09:17:02 pm »
Not sure if it's any help to you, but when my non-g40 Mk3 was at standard ride height the drivers steering arm was 530mm and the passenger side 512mm bolt centre-bolt centre.

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 12:11:30 am »
Was the rack positioned centrally before you tracked it?

Offline camone

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 06:57:28 pm »
im gonna loosen the rack at the weekend and adjust it again as this might be where the fault lies. I dont remember spending much time setting the rack up si i'll give a go.
Im not sure if thats gonna give me enough adjustment to allow me to wind the tie rod and inner threaded bit in though

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 08:49:04 am »
I have the same problem with my g40 but I am using 15"x6,5 with 195/50/15 tyres! I am really interested if you can find what's wrong with it!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 09:47:00 am »
I have the same problem with my g40 but I am using 15"x6,5 with 195/50/15 tyres! I am really interested if you can find what's wrong with it!

the problem with this - isnt the same as above.

195 50 15 tyres are just WAY too big for a mk3 polo

Offline camone

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 06:05:02 pm »
Right ive finally had the chance to get some work done on the polo. I went out and bought new tie rods for both sides, just the standard ones from eurocarpart etc.
The rack is centralised as best as I can get it with the engine etc in place. Ive fitted both tie rods and made sure the steering was in dead centre ie 1.75 turns on both sides. The passenger side adjustable arm is now bang on give or take a few turns to sort out toe, however the drivers side non adjustale rod is about and inch too short to pull the drivers wheel into alignment.
I think yoof posted up in another steering topic that aftermarket steering racks have the inner tie mounts in slighty different places to vag originals. Now my rack is an original vag g40 rack so im thinking the non adjustable tie rod I have is designed to fit the aftermarket rack.
Has anybody else come across this. It seems wierd that the aftermarket one would be so different to standard vag parts.
Im gonna try going to VAG and GSF to compare what tie rods they have with the eurocarparts one ive got and i'll post up my findings

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 08:48:44 am »
I am sorry I forgot to mention I had the arces done to fit the tyres!