Author Topic: Charger noise, I think??  (Read 3010 times)

Offline AdzCM

• Members
Charger noise, I think??
« on: June 06, 2010, 05:14:32 pm »
Hello, everytime I accelerate up to and over 5000rpm I hear a kind of dump valve noise similar to the noise you get with the boost return mod. but I havent done this mod yet. Ive just recently installed my induction kit for my g40, k&n cone filter and piping, and Ive only started noticing the noise, would this have anything to do with it?

My car is completely standard appart from the induction kit and the noise doesnt happen lower tha around 5000rpm, strange?

Its making me a bit paranoid, dont like strange new noises comming from my g lol...

any ideas?

thanks, Adrian.

Offline AdzCM

• Members
Re: Charger noise, I think??
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 05:17:18 pm »
Sorry, a key thing to mention is that I only hear the noise whenever I change gear at 5000rpm or more.

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 09:08:05 pm »
Whenever i put my induction kit on (use airbox daily cause its so much cleaner) it get the same, think its just more air going though the second butterfly.

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 12:09:13 am »
Are you running a ported charger and/or smaller pulley? At high rpm gear changes, when the boost bypass butterfly closes there's more pressurised air passing through than the charger can take back in, because the charger is now spinning slower as your foot is on the clutch. The air the charger doesn't suck in is being blown back through the air filter. At least it did with mine, with a cone filter it made a nice chuffing noise! You could quite easily feel the air blowing back throught the filter after reving the engine. I can't honestly say if this occurs with the standard airbox, but with it any noise from this 'exhaust' air would be silenced.

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 12:59:44 am »
Everything is standard appart from the induction kit, and I only really started noticing the noise after I installed the induction kit so thats probably what it is cause the car runs fine.

Thanks for the replies, my mind has been set as ease lol.

Offline G40supercharged

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 06:23:05 pm »
As Puncharado said, the noise is the excess boost exiting through the cone filter. This happens at the point where you take your foot off the throttle and the bypass valve first opens. It will keep the filter nice and clean. The same thing happens with the airbox as well.

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 07:56:20 pm »
Keeps the filter clean, thats pretty handy, cheers mate.