Author Topic: Oil quantity  (Read 5143 times)

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Oil quantity
« on: August 05, 2008, 01:37:24 pm »
Changing oil and oil filter autodata books says that it needs 3.25 litres
Putting 3,25 litres and operating the engine till the new oil filter gets filled, i see that oil level is a little more than max point...
I can't figure out what the hell is going on... How much oil do you put when replacing the oil filter?

Cheers, Alex...

Ps I don't have an oil cooler

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Oil quantity
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 01:43:26 pm »
enough - i just do 3 litres and then top up as needed. It probably takes 3.25 but you never get all the old oil out

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Re: Re: Oil quantity
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 01:49:14 pm »
[quote pid=3023 author=peteg40 date=1217940206]enough - i just do 3 litres and then top up as needed. It probably takes 3.25 but you never get all the old oil out[/quote]

I let all the wasted oil to come out from the engine. (as much as i can)

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Re: Re: Oil quantity
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 01:52:48 pm »
so do i, but there may be tiny bits all over the engine

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil quantity
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 01:52:48 pm »
so do i, but there may be tiny bits all over the engine

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil quantity
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 01:56:12 pm »
ok... oil change+oil filter change=3 litres

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil quantity
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 02:29:14 pm »
roughly yes but not exactly.  There's no way of always getting the exact amount of oil out of the engine.  Like pete says the capacity is 3.25litres in a G40 engine but some always stays in the sump and more in various places inside the engine.  It usually comes in 5 litre tubs anyway so that'll be more than enough.

Offline G-spot

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil quantity
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 09:19:45 pm »
I guess it depends on oil cooler postion too, some drain better than others(if you have one).  
My routine is to take of hall sender plug, and pull out plugs then turn engine over for 1 or 2 secs to clear the oil system once everything is drained and removed,  then repeat this with the new oil & filter  until oil pressure comes up on gauge(this normally takes about 3.5-4ltrs).  I only do this on a 10k service tho, when doing an in between service I just drop the oil and refil(about every3-4K), normally taking about 3 liters, but always top up to max after.

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil quantity
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 11:39:36 pm »
[quote pid=3040 author=G-spot date=1217967585]I guess it depends on oil cooler postion too, some drain better than others(if you have one).  
My routine is to take of hall sender plug, and pull out plugs then turn engine over for 1 or 2 secs to clear the oil system once everything is drained and removed,  then repeat this with the new oil & filter  until oil pressure comes up on gauge(this normally takes about 3.5-4ltrs).  I only do this on a 10k service tho, when doing an in between service I just drop the oil and refil(about every3-4K), normally taking about 3 liters, but always top up to max after.[/quote]

Isn't a bit dangerous turning over the engine without oil...?  You can propably harm a piston ring, cylinder etc.

Offline Vizor

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil quantity
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 10:36:53 pm »
in some service-stations have vacuum pump to take out all oil from the engine
when you fill about 2,7-8 liters turn on the engine and when the oil lamp take off .. turn the engine off and fill more
wait about 2-3 hours in a flat place and show where is oil level
if you need .. fill a little more
sorry about my english but i'm from bulgaria and my teacher was more stupid than my slipper!