Author Topic: Drove the Mk8 Polo GTI today  (Read 4219 times)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Drove the Mk8 Polo GTI today
« on: May 27, 2010, 08:46:08 pm »
I went to the SMMT Test Day today, at Millbrook Proving Ground in Bedfordshire. It's a big event for journalists to come down and try out cars from all the different manufacturers.

Among the surprises (including driving the Focus RS500) VW had managed to bring three Mk8 Polo GTIs over from Germany for us to test. UK models don't arrive until September, so they were left hand drive. Naturally, I had to have a go!

I can't write a full road test on here - it's against my contract. However, I can give a few first impressions if you're interested!

Here's the car:

I took the car around Millbrook's Hill Circuit (aka the Alpine Course) which is a challengine mix of winding corners, different camber and some serious gradients (including a jump if you're going too fast).

And I'm happy to report, it's good fun!

It's not as sure footed as the Mk6 Golf GTI, and tbh it does feel a class below. But that slightly more playful handling makes it a real hoot. The handling's still nice and neutral but it's got a tendency to kick the back end out on tight corners. It's just that little bit more fun. I didn't drive anything else today which had tyres squealing as much as the Polo did, it put a big smile on my face!

Under the bonnet, it's got the same 178bhp 1.4 TSI engine as the SEAT Ibiza Cupra (and Bocanegra) with the same seven speed DSG gearbox. Just as good in the Polo, as you'd expect. A really willing performer all the way through the revs, and anyone who has driven a DSG-equipped V-Dub will vouch for it being a great cog-swapper.

But despite being based on the same platform, there's actually a raft of differences between the Ibiza and the Polo. It's not just the same car with a different shell on top. The Polo has different suspension, bigger brakes, a wider track and the battery has been relocated to the boot for better weight distribution.

Inside, everything's familiar to anyone who's sat in a Mk6 Golf. Typical VW build quality and the same tartan seats as the Golf GTI. Nice, comfortable, fairly bland but that's how us V-Dub boys like it eh?

My only fault would be that it could do with slightly stiffer and lower suspension. It sits a bit high at the moment and there's a touch more body roll than I'd like.

I'm really looking forward to spending some time with a right hand drive model!

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
Re: Drove the Mk8 Polo GTI today
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 08:54:19 pm »
Oooh! Mummy. Lend me 20k.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 09:13:44 pm »
My local VW dealer are expecting a demo car in june, but said that there is a back order on the gearbox. Apparently from what he also said was that if you order one it could take 6 months!

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 09:58:07 pm »
But despite being based on the same platform, there's actually a raft of differences between the Ibiza and the Polo. It's not just the same car with a different shell on top. The Polo has different suspension, bigger brakes, a wider track and the battery has been relocated to the boot for better weight distribution.

Really? I thought they were the same with the cupra...
Ibiza has 288mm disks, so the polo has 312mm ones?

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 10:46:55 pm »

Really? I thought they were the same with the cupra...
Ibiza has 288mm disks, so the polo has 312mm ones?

All I was told is they're bigger, but yeah 312mm would make sense :)

The spec sheet I was given doesn't have any information though. :-/

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 11:04:38 pm »
Just going through my notes, and it seems the Scirocco R (which I drove today as well) has been a victim of VW creative figures.

The Golf R is four wheel drive, with 268bhp and 258lbs/ft.
The Scirocco R is front wheel drive, with 261bhp and 258lbs/ft

The Golf is, as such, slightly faster to 62mph (5.5 vs 5.8 for the DSG versions)

Why is the Scirocco R less powerful and lacking four wheel drive?

I guess because nobody would buy the Golf R...

They never want anything to trump the Golf, do they?

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 10:49:46 am »
Bloody journo's hogging the test facilities for their jollies!
 ;) ;D

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 01:05:04 am »
Ahem  :D