Author Topic: Notching the chassis/removing some metal for driveshafts when lowering  (Read 3802 times)

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
Hey guys, need to get my car to sit lower but im having clearance issues with the driveshafts. im only going to cut up to the actual leg (removing the thin metal where it joins so i can weld it up)

has anyone done this before? and if they have do you have any photos?

BTW - this will be happening tomorrow - i just wanted to see what others had done first

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
How low are going??? The existing notches still gave good clearance when i had the coils pretty much the whole the way down (Gaz).. you must be going low low!

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
well I think it's called "stupid low" I'm not going to drive round like it- I press a button and it goes back up again;-)

when you try to put a trolley jack under it (normal £20 jack) even after removing the castle from it - u just hit the side of the sill. it's about 2" floorpan to floor. and I have 15" wheel. I cud touch the floor with smaller wheels I reckon

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
ah that would be why then  :D

not sure if anyone has gone down that road properly with a G. probably someone on the clubpolo.co.uk whos gone that low on cut springs or something with a gt. some of the older chaps might be able to help.. good luck

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
I have put up a topic on there aswell but no replys. I think it's far to "out of the box" for people on there. + I've used long words such as - driveshaft.

lol

Offline cheddarcheese

• Members
  • i like boobs!
    • supercharged
I guess if you notch it then weld some reinforcement plates around the notch area to help with strength.

Offline AdzCM

• Members
A g40 on airbags? unreal :D :D

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Worth trying to get hold of Dan (D9OLO) and see what he's done. By far the lowest Mk3 I've seen.

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
Ive done it:-) i simple cut away the overhanging bit below where the panels are glued together above the chasis leg.
gives more then enough room:-) its soooooo low hahahahhahha

Offline giorgio

• Members
this car ever going be ready?

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO

Offline ereeiz

• Members
PICS?! ;D

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
will do when i get my iphone back - my phone is my internet so i cant upload anything until its fixed.will get some up once its back