Author Topic: Aquamist - effect on charger  (Read 3437 times)

Offline Ä‘uro

• Members
Aquamist - effect on charger
« on: April 07, 2010, 11:19:18 am »
Cheers

As topic said... how can Aquamist effect on charger ?  (advantages nd disadvantags? )

is it good to spray water in charger in general?

where to put nozzle ? - better to put only one or two nezzles?

Is it good in case of placing Aquamist on engine take off return boost pipe ?

Tks in advance
Damjan

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Aquamist - effect on charger
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 11:37:26 am »
I don't think I'd run it with the boost return still connected, can't see a mixture of water & methanol doing the charger any good, would probably corrode the scroll over time.

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 11:49:23 pm »
yeah it wont do anything to help matters, the watery oil thats lubricating the charger is already bad enough without more water and meth to boot!!

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 04:50:26 pm »
i had mine linked into the throttle body and had the boost return removed

Offline Ä‘uro

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 10:19:10 am »

Had ?

so you are telling me indirectly it's no so good to put Aquamist when charger is on the car? It's better to put on turbo ?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 10:43:59 am »
no - good on a charger, just place aquamist spray after the charger, and after the throttle vent any mist and boost to air, dont recirculate it into the charger

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 06:52:19 pm »
I ran mine with recirc air passing back into charger, didn't cause any washing of the charger on the over run, but a very minimal amount of corrosion occured in the pass-though on rocker cover, but nothing in charger, as most of the surfaces are greased or coated.
I'd reckonmend placing nozzle between the intercooler and the throttle body for best results.  I also had a second nozzle/atomiser mounted on the bumper spraying in the air flow directly infront of intercooler. It didn't reduce my charge tempereature any further, but it made it drop down faster.

Back when I ran this setup I achieve my boost temperture at the same as the ambient air temperature, which was effectively an 11 degree drop compared to not having it running. 21 deg C @ 17psi.

Think I did a post on the old PSD forum at the time, but its gotta be at least 3/4 years ago.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 07:04:48 pm »
with water on it's own or methanol too?

I'd be VERY careful doing that with just water if the car isn't used all the time (i.e. sometimes spends a week sat in a garage unused) as water left in the charger will soon corrode the scroll as has been seen on cars left stood in the damp.  I'd definitely not do it at all with methanol in the mix.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 08:25:32 pm »

Had ?

so you are telling me indirectly it's no so good to put Aquamist when charger is on the car? It's better to put on turbo ?

Chris used to run an aqumist but he's breaking his car or possibly sold it now?

Tap it into the back of the tb. Thats what i have been recomended to do.

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 10:06:56 pm »
Mine was a 50/50 water methanol mix, as I said scroll and chareger insides all coated with Fel Pro(similar to that found on Eaton chargers), plus the proper grease so corrosion resistance was maximized.
Also worth adding was my sysytem only injected at max pressure which was when the BRV is closed so very little excess was run on the return onto the charger.

Though as Hayesey said, be careful cause a progressive system could leave a larger quantitiy of mix via the bypass, resulting in greater corrosion risk, also water don't compress too well  :( so a flood in the charger would spell doom!! :o :o