Author Topic: G40 Non starter  (Read 7297 times)

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
Re: G40 Non starter
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2010, 08:26:52 am »
Yeah the blue temp sensor is probably why its not starting when hot.  I also noticed your throttle body wasn't working rite. Id say strip the throttle body down and give it a good clean

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2010, 01:46:16 pm »
Overheated today, sooo need the rad n fan!

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2010, 03:53:46 pm »
Did u fix the oil pressure switch? See if dan knight has a spare rad and fan.

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2010, 04:03:57 pm »
Nah i didnt realise i needed to

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2010, 05:48:13 pm »
That's if it was that. Did u find where all the oil leaked from? Was it the breather which I said to push firmly in or maybe the temp switch. Can't  see the head gone

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2010, 07:13:11 pm »
Yeah it was the breather, most shit job ever was covered in oil under the car in the rain for an hour, Got so pissed off with it ended up using some hose to bridge from the metal pipe to the plastic bit. Works a treat now tho pal! Never seen so much smoke out of the coolant bottle tho thought it was on fire initially

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2010, 07:37:54 pm »
Rite, need to take the throttle body off now and strip it down to clean it

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2010, 07:13:06 pm »
Took the tb off n cleaned it inside n out, also put some g40 calipers on n some newish pads. Cleaned the throttle position switches to see it that would cure the massive lack of power up untill about 4k. Bled the brakes each one for about 20 mins doing 4 pumps then let out the air. Now the breaks are lethal but that can be fixed, the "kangarooing" of the throttle is dangerous in the wet weather had to near enough drive full throttle for about a mile, well surprised i got home. Saying that also changed the blue temp sender to a VAG brand new one £16 on trade n that actually works unlike the 4 other different ones i have (cheers tom ). Anyways live to fight another day eh

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2010, 10:20:32 pm »
Massively shit day for me, gearlinkage decided to pop out when driving, which was caused by the loss of one of the rear engine mount bolts and then to top it off the brake lines rubbed themselves untill holes appeard on the 14 wheels i have which means no breaks at the moment! ALso its still running shite so getting a 51mm tb next week.

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2010, 07:48:35 pm »
recieved the 51mm throttle body which is nice, although puttin it together was the biggest bake ever, need it sortin really, now its runnin it gets flatspots and seems to kangaroo a little when on power. my dad mot'd and its emmissions were terribly rich! replaced the blue temp so could it be the lamda as its a gt one?

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2010, 09:49:38 am »
bump

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2010, 08:03:16 am »
have you set up the TB microswitches correctly, and that it open and closes the butterfly smoothly and doesn't catch or stick.

You checked for a vacuum leak?

Disconnect your lambda sensor connector and see if it drives better.  Also make sure the lambda is tight in the exhaust boss we had one that kept vibrating itself loose and cause overfuelling during a race at Snet, had to loctite it in.

You tried another chip in your ecu?

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2010, 01:40:42 am »
Thats the problem the tb not terrible smooth, to check to see if its that going to put the standard one together with the different switches, its not really a flat spot its just running massively down on power like same as a cammed n chipped gt which is weird.

Its running fairly hot to within 5 mins its up to around 80 degrees, annoying thing is after getting a twin speed fan n a twin switch thermo plug for the radiator the fan still doesnt kick in at all. Just going to have to wire up a two stage switch on the dash for the fan i reckon.

dunno wot to do about the down on power issue, its not burning oil or coolant but ill have to see when i have changed the throttle body back. Although a problem with the throttle body is that the final nut on the end cant go finger tight otherwise it seizes the whole mechanism so its not free enough to let the springs shut it off throttle :S

Really worried now thinking it could be serious, n big bang is two weeks away :(

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2010, 10:03:33 am »
Your cam timing isn't a tooth out and retarded is it?  I know it was set up a page or two ago but you checked it again?

If it aint the Throttle body, Have you another chip to test per chance?

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2010, 03:24:17 pm »
thing is when i turn inside fans on hot and full even when the engine is at temp they dont blow hot, when i take out the blue temp sender nothing happens, when i unplug the lamda nothing happens so i will prob replace the thermo housin and the lamda sensor and the heater matrix. dunno why the fan doesnt kick in tho :(