Author Topic: Mould  (Read 5171 times)

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
Mould
« on: February 28, 2010, 10:09:17 pm »
Just a bit of a warning to anyone who has a car laid up for winter or just put away in the garage, check it every once in a while! I went to my G for the first time since the end of November this afternoon. Its kept in a dry brick built garage and found a load of mould in it. The picture is of the worst cushion but there was mould on the steering wheel and gearknob and the other seats only not as bad. I'm assuming something must have been spilt on this cushion and it has spread throughout the car. Last year I left it in a damp council lockup for 5-6 months over winter and it was fine. So now I've got to rip it all out, clean it all and dry it before I can put it away.

I have read about people putting cat litter into cars stored for a while so I'm going to give that a go when its all back in. Its pretty minging.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Mould
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 10:14:12 pm »
mould can be airborne - can it not?

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 10:29:22 pm »
Not checked the footwells, going to put a charger back on the car so I can drive it out of the garage and have a proper look. Stunk though, pretty grim.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 10:35:08 pm »
to be honest, you are better leaving the windows open let it breathe.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 10:37:19 pm »
Cant have a leak as the garage is bone dry. Its much better than my damp council lockup last year. I'm thinking something had been spilt on that seat and has spread through the car.

Have left a window open for now but I dont want it full of creepy crawlies and potentially stuff that could start eating the fabrics etc, I'll be in real trouble then.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 09:06:53 am »
i think sam must've trapped an almighty fart in there and its just lingered and corroded anything in there

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 09:38:03 am »
^^ that sounds likely.

tubs of bicarb of soda are the thing to use arent they?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 06:59:35 am »
Few big packs of silica gel crystals are what you want... either that or drive your car  :P

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 07:50:51 pm »
That's the stuff. Halfrauds sell it for a couple of quid in their caravaning section. I've left one in the G all winter and it's collected about half a litre of water since the beginning of December.

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 08:57:17 pm »
i found mould on my carpet last week, the drivers side door seal isn't looking too clever. easiest thing i've used recently is 2 bowls of salt, one in front of the gear stick and one on the parcel shelf. working fine so far

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 10:57:32 am »
Is it not usually the parts that we touch all the time while driving that
Mould up when left.
At least that was what i wer lead to believe.
Partly due to dead skin and skin grease an shite especially from my often dirty
Hands. lol.

Fred.

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 01:53:38 pm »
i found mould on my carpet last week, the drivers side door seal isn't looking too clever. easiest thing i've used recently is 2 bowls of salt, one in front of the gear stick and one on the parcel shelf. working fine so far

Thats what i was told to use. Mate uses bowls of salt in his static caravan for the same reason and it works ;)

Offline Steve

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 11:39:26 am »
Why don't you wind down the windows a little and fix/tape some Musim/Net curtian type mesh over the openings? Lets the car breath, and keeps out the creepy crawlies.

Im thinking this is caused by a mix of Stale/static air and possibly the containt change in tempreture on the garage. If its been locked away over winter, then we have had -15 degree temps back in jan/feb ranging up nearly +30 degrees in the heatwaves of the last few months! can't be helping with the old condensation and sweating issues!   

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 09:51:29 pm »
And for Christ's sake don't leave salt around inside your car. Salt + moisture = rust. Silica gel costs jack shit and when it's full you can re-cycle it with a bit of time in the oven.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 10:48:26 pm »
Why don't you wind down the windows a little and fix/tape some Musim/Net curtian type mesh over the openings? Lets the car breath, and keeps out the creepy crawlies.

Im thinking this is caused by a mix of Stale/static air and possibly the containt change in tempreture on the garage. If its been locked away over winter, then we have had -15 degree temps back in jan/feb ranging up nearly +30 degrees in the heatwaves of the last few months! can't be helping with the old condensation and sweating issues!   

I like that idea Steve. Not been back to it since we cleaned it all, but thats a good idea for the next time I do go over.