Author Topic: White G40 update 24.07.09  (Read 18120 times)

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
White G40 update 24.07.09
« on: July 15, 2008, 03:02:14 pm »
Well I've decided to do one of mine...many of you know the car but I suppose it adds to the reading content of a growing website.

The story begins 3 years ago..as briefly as possible...I saw the car in a car park in Durham city centre as the owner (a young mother of two) was getting her kids out....usually I'd be attempted to sleaze the mother but this time it was the car I was interested in.  A quick chat and I handed my number over.  Months went by and heard nothing...one night went for a mission and amazingly found the car on a drive way! couldnt believe it!  went back the next day stalker style..arranged a deal but she needed a replacement first... months again went by and by this time we were upto May the following year since I first saw it.  Eventually I decided to take a chance and bought a 1.0 mk4 polo, had it serviced with cam belts etc etc and took it for her to see. She was chuffed and a week later I had my car.

It was a wreck...it had a tow bar on the back cut through the bumper.  The bottom end was knocking and it ran shite. Anyways straight away work began on it. some pics....Not all exactly in order in this thread but you get the idea.....

the car I bought her!

new bumper fitted

new H&R cup kit fitted with new top mounts

Cleaning stuff up with sand blaster

all the vag parts I had bought

some stuff I had re-zinced

Anyways this went on I bought loads of new parts cleaned stuff up had things blasted, fitted new discs and pads, braided hoses had the charger rebuilt and oil feeds renewed etc etc and it looked like this

then I started and am still continuing to this day improving all the little stuff

new in-tank pump was fitted and gauze

bought a new in-line pump but had the bracket powder coated and all new fixings

G- lader siete roll bar blocks and outer arm bushes and new vag rose jointed steering arms

then about a year later I set about doing a few more substantial bits..sent the gearbox to JP race for a full rebuild

new vag lambda probe

engine mounts/charger mounts renewed and powder coated

new clutch and bearing (couldnt afford it at the time of the rebuild) new gearbox oil

drive shafts painted

charger rebuilt again for peace of mind

I also travelled down to max in reading and picked up another interior..using both interiors i used the best bits and made a better one and fitted new runners and cables

around about this time the car was looking like this (note the new numberplate, although this was just after the initial rebuild)

got some more stuff zinc coated

Got it MOT and failed on brake lines...couldn't live with copper ones so bought vag steel/plastic coated ones

changed the dizzy internals

New knock sensor

new vacuum hose

These are the some of the latest pictures

New boot fitted with new vinyl and screws

Orange indicators fitted again and bumpers heat gunned black

and.....the 'Supercharged' badge fitted

Plans are and always have been to paint the damn thing to freshen it up.  I've been collecting parts to do so, such as wings etc etc.  My new plan now is to wait till next year when I get a lump payment from work...strip the engine down again rebuild it and get the car painted properly as I've always wanted!!  Recently I've been sorting little stuff out like removing the bonnet struts and putting the original stand back and removed the wire covers i had going on and loom taped them up instead stuff like that.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 11:25:30 am by supercharged spaniel »

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
Re: White G40
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 08:46:42 am »
One word ......... WOW!  It seems I have a long way to go on mine  :/

Brilliant post, and great inspiration (if you'd like to use that word!).  Really interesting how you bought the car off the poor woman who didn't know what had hit her!  A very nice gesture to find her something as a replacement she would love :)

The body work looks pretty clean to me.  Out of interest did you get the wheels refurbed?

Good stuff!

Gemma

Offline G-spot

• Members
Re: Re: White G40
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 07:47:30 pm »
Well I'm well impressed with both the detail you've gone to with some of the more forgotten about parts, and the photo documentation of it all! Nice work.  I've done loads on mine, but I never seem to bother with the before and after shots.

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Re: Re: Re: White G40
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 05:35:32 pm »
Excelent Job! We must try maintain as much as we can our G40s...

Well done!

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 12:40:21 am »
New update....I've done quite a few things to the car but ive been pretty quiet about it cos of work etc these include completly re wrapping the loom in genuine vag loom tape, a new bosch alternator, the usual regular oil/filter changes, new brake lines using genuine vag plastic coated steel lines, new brake compensator and new toyo proxes tyres.  However the time has come to start overhauling a few bigger more important things this summer...I use the car daily so after an initial rebuild a few years ago things are starting to wear so rather than just piss about ive decided to do them all pretty much to the highest standard that I can in the shortest time possible... all parts genuine vag items as always excapt discs and pads.  My list of stuff to do, some of which has been done before the point of writing this include:

head gasket (head bolts, waterpump, timing belt, thermostat housing, thermostat, exhaust manifold gasket, inlet gasket, manifold nuts) all been done

fuel filter also done

charger rebuild...done

bead blast charger bracket...done

callipers rebuilt, polmer coated black (biggred), carriers powder coated black to match, new calliper bolts, discs (brembo max), pads (Ferodo ds2500), handbrake cables, re-adjust/clean drums...to be done

New charger/intercooler boost pipe...to do

Vag exhaust back box, done.

Vag Radiator...to do.

Vag G40 bottom arms...not urgent but on the to do list anyways.

not many pictures cos when i get going i never can be arsed to whip out the camera lol...admittedly the car needs a damn good clean!!  Anyone want to know details about parts ive bought or prices or fitting etc feel free to drop me a message...obviously to some this will be common knowledge lol

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 09:14:12 am »
like the amber indicators back on!

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 01:10:58 pm »
very nice mate, your local vag garage must love you!!!

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 11:24:57 am »
small update:

Started stripping the brakes down for a full overhaul.. including taking the carriers off for powder coating.  Reckon ill probably have to file the coating off where the shims sit but that's no issue.  I've sent the callipers off to Bigg Red to be remanufactured and coated in black polymer (pics to follow).  I wanted to fit my new splash gaurds but the 10mm bolts holding them on are really corroded so ive just removed them completly.  Parts being replaced are as follows:

Ferrodo pads (DS 2500)
Brembo discs
Rear wheel cylinders
Rear handbrake cables
Rear shoes
rear drum springs and fittings etc
fresh fluid

more pics to follow... when nice shiney parts arrive and things are cleaned up (i'd love to get the struts powder coated but thats a job for another year)... trying my best to get everything done before the g40 rally..just waiting for parts thats the issue.

The charger belts are loose as ive removed the charger to bead blast the charger bracket.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 11:27:03 am by supercharged spaniel »

Offline markh450

• Members
Re: White G40 update 24.07.09
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 01:40:23 pm »
That look sawesome, a really good job, don't you fancy cleaning up and painting the struts for the time being untill you can get them powder coated?

I notice you've disconnected the drive shaft from the rear of the hub rather than remove the big nut on the other end, do you reckon thats the easiest way or did you just not have the car on the ground with wheel fitted to undo the main nut?

Oh yeah and where did you put the axle stand at the front? I can't for the life of me work out a good place to put mine!!

Offline neil_dubgt

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 11:18:43 pm »
i so want this when it comes up for sale lol

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 05:46:14 pm »
hi there..thanks for the comments.  in reply to Mark..i wouldnt paint them with paint/hamerite as a temporary measure because its my pet hate..there is nothing worse than shit paint done by brush so id rather leave it.  Ive got all the bits needed to do my breaks now including hand brake cables, powder coated carriers, even hand brake brackets.  However i cant do anything till i get my callipers back from bigg red..

Ive painted my doors and im right happy!  Fitted dynamat inside each one, resealed them properly properly inluding new inner moisture skins.  Put new vinyl on them as the panels were painted completely bare inside and out.

Ive also bead blasted the charger bracket and the charger elbow, had the charcoal canister powder coated and re waxoyled my battery tray.  New toyo proxes front tyres, a much better front bumper and inner carpets.  I've been very busy i can't wait to get my stuff back and put it all back together.  Ill get some proper pic up when it all comes togethr..my problem is when im working i find little time to stop and take a picture!

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 05:50:24 pm »
axle stands are on the anti roll bar blocks...put it on the anti roll bar and it bends..not good when the cars like this for almost 2 weeks.  put it on the sills and it busts them...I'd usually put them on the bottom arm inner mounts but my axle stands are too high..so ive put them on the anti roll bar blocks..

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 06:45:41 pm »
more updates..got my callipers back from bigg red..really pleased!  got them fitted and managed to get a fan cowling powder coated whilst i had stuff in bits and had the carriers done..