Author Topic: My GT-G40  (Read 112850 times)

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: My GT-G40
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2009, 09:21:12 am »
i (well its sam's) has a spare manifold

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2009, 05:38:50 pm »
No pics for this update, but I've had e-mails today confirming that my gearbox is now Quaife equipped and ready to come back to me. I'll be calling them tomorrow to sort delivery, so that'll be back here on Friday or Monday hopefully.

Helix have also been in touch to say that my new clutch left their place this afternoon and should be with me tomorrow.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2009, 11:42:16 am »
A big green plastic box arrived at the office this morning, containing my Quaife-equipped gearbox.  ;D

I wish it looked as exciting as it is. And yeah, isn't the Polo gearbox tiny!

The boot's turning into a parts store. I've got a Helix clutch and Gaz suspension taking up residence at the moment.

All good!

I'm going to take a chance on the standard driveshafts for now. If I snap one, I snap one. As soon as my bank balance recovers I'll be fitting an uprated driveshaft, it's a shame I missed the group buy but I can't afford one yet.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2009, 10:15:20 am »
cool, I'm looking forward to some feedback on those quaiffe diffs.  As yet I don't think anyone has actually used one of them, certainly no one has posted anything on any forums about whether they are any good or not.  I don't suppose you have pictures of the diff itself?

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2009, 07:33:48 pm »
Sadly no, it was fitted at their headquarters. I got the standard diff back in a plastic bag though!

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2009, 10:24:18 pm »
Looking good Alex (as much as gearboxes and clutches do, lol).

I can't believe the amount of people who went with the quaife group buy and it sounds like only one out of them is running it. He seemed to rate it though, looking forward to more feedback.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2009, 09:20:46 am »
It's my job to review stuff, so don't worry you'll get a lengthy road test out of this! :D

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2009, 04:03:47 pm »
VW2000 came out to collect the car earlier. Technically it's driveable but I don't fancy knackering the starter motor trying to hobble up to Peakirk.

Gearbox and clutch are stashed in the boot. Hopefully everything will go well tomorrow!

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2009, 12:00:53 am »
It's in! I can hardly believe it myself tbh, a long time coming!

I've had to work this evening, so it's not done loads of miles yet and I'd be lying if I said I'd been giving it beans. It's taking a bit of getting used to after two months of the Passat! But I've yet to snap a driveshaft, and it's had an enthusiastic driving session so that's a good sign. I hope!

So far I've yet to really push it and find out how the cornering ability has changed but from what I've noticed so far you can feel the diff gently pulling you around corners. It's completely unnoticeable under normal driving too, so no noises or heavy steering.

I'm taking the car to Stanford Hall tomorrow so it'll get a decent-ish run. I'll let you know how I get on!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 12:04:03 am by Alex »

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2009, 09:09:17 pm »
Been a good weekend, absolutely loving the car with the new diff. I'll do a fuller review when I've done more miles, I'm taking it back to Cardiff this weekend.

The car grips like, well, like a Polo normally doesn't. You can keep on the throttle coming through corners without lighting up the inside wheel, instead you can just feel it pull the car around. It's brilliant! I'm pushing progressively harder with it to see where the limits are but I'm already well past where it was before. Considering it's on shagged Spax suspension I'm really impressed, can't wait to get the Gaz coilies on!

Took the car to Stanford Hall yesterday, and Nick G took a pick of it on the way. :D

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2009, 10:54:35 pm »
I'd have kept an eye out for you if I'd have known you were going Alex. Was a good show, not been before but really enjoyed it. Managed to bag a NOS tailgate too!

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2009, 09:14:46 am »
Yeah likewise! Didn't know many people were going! Bumped into Karl in the car park and saw Alex's G40 in the concourse but otherwise, didn't really see anyone I knew.

Good show though, despite the massive queue. I saw the tailgate you must've bought on one of the autojumble stands as well. :)

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2009, 09:10:49 pm »
hope you dont mind me asking mate but how much did the diff cost you and how much did they charge to fit it in the box?

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2009, 09:22:57 am »
They don't usually fit them AFAIK, but it's a privilege of the job that I can get that done. The total cost was £828 including shipping and £585 (ex VAT) for the diff.

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2009, 08:04:47 pm »
ill be fitting my own then....