Author Topic: Project Post  (Read 17102 times)

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
Project Post
« on: July 14, 2008, 10:55:06 am »
*Please feel free to move if this isn't in the right section or it becomes too long and boring ZZZzzzz*

Background
I had my first G40 a few years back as my daily runner and was hooked!  Several (slightly disappointing) cars later I decided to buy another G40 to work on as a project.

I was looking for a standard car, condition wasn't too important.  I had a picture in my head of an older person who had a G40 locked away in their garage and suddenly decided to sell it not really knowing what it was!  
Instead I found this G40 when I was least expecting it and not really in the position to buy one just yet, having already got one car trying to sell and another one on it's way.  I spoke to the owner re the car, confirming it was standard but not knowing much else about it.  Having considered this for a few days (bearing in mind it was about 200 miles away) I decided to let it go but asked the guy if he would let me know if he hadn't sold it in a week.

A week went by and I got a text to say it was still for sale ...... oh dear!  Now I had to go and look at it!  Drove up to Manchester and came home with a G40 .. ooops! (and £2,000 lighter!)

I am lucky that my boyfriend has a workshop where I can store the car and work on it until it is ready to be driven.  I am also even luckier that he works for Volkswagen/TPS.

We found the history of the car and confirmed the following:
Built on 2nd June 1993 in the Pamplona factory in Spain
Registered 01/08/1993
Maritime Blue

The plan is to keep the car original and standard.

Car exactly as it was bought:

Week 1
We have looked up the service history, sent off for a new service book and sent it to the dealers who are still around for them to stamp it up for the past services.
Ordered a new thermostat, little plastic 'thing' where the parcel shelf strap attaches to the inside of boot, Original Polo Manual (mine is a bit tired looking) and the best of the lot ......... Towing eye cover!!! now obsolete since I bought the last one! Actually I think there is one left at the factory.

Week 2
2 surprises for my G40 came along.  A new scuttle tray and the bit of plastic inside the engine bay which says intercooler?!  We had though that this might be in German which would've made it uber cool but no such luck.  We've re-ordered the stickers which go on this too. (Pics to follow of this.) Also bought some decent spark plugs.

Spark plugs and thermostat were changed and flushed out the coolant etc.  Staight away it runs much better and the temperature rises as it's meant to.  We've left a full service for now as I'm not driving it yet and couldn't wait to clean it!

I bought a heat gun and got to work on the front bumper.  Wow, what a difference!

I washed, clayed, polished and gloss protected the whole car as well as blacking all the bumpers.  It does make you think if the seller did this in the first place he could've got £500 more for it!  Here's the result:

Not quite as great I took off the tail pipe and found this.  It is however the original exhaust so I don't feel so bad now!  I quickly stuck that awful tail pipe back on!

Next steps are to give it a full service, get the charger rebuilt (I don't really want to drive it until this is done) and give the engine bay a good clean.  Watch this space!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Project Post
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 11:17:04 am »
nice one... ps later g40s say 'intercooler' there not ladeluft gekult!!

i have a pattern backbox for sale 1,000miles on it tops.  Â£25

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Project Post
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 12:35:33 pm »
it amazes me that people selling cars don't give them a reet good clean like that, they just end up losing more money!

Looks very good.

I guess this should have gone in the photos section or maybe we should have a "projects" section or something?

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Project Post
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 12:44:40 pm »
Useful to know - thanks Pete.  When looking it did have the German writing in the photo but didn't come from factory like that.  Ty for offer of backbox.  I think I will buy a whole new exhaust for it.  Oh I totally forgot to mention it also needs a new fuel tank ..... desperately!

My plan was to keep this post running with updates and pictures so happy for a projects section.  If that is ok with the team here?

Gemma

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Re: Re: Re: Re: Project Post
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 01:15:48 pm »
I'm amazed by the results you've got from using a heat gun. How's it lasting?

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Project Post
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 01:54:47 pm »
Alex - yes heat gun was amazing!  It does leave the bumper a bit patchy though.  I think if I left it a bit longer and reapplied the black to black it would be ok.  

I did the front bumper about 3 times, once on Sat and twice on Sunday.  It was particularly grey!  It's a shame actually as there's a crack in the bumper so at some point I'll have to get another.  You'll probably notice in the pics it's hanging off as just placed it back on to take pics!  You can't go wrong with the heat gun though - costs £20 or something and then use some back to black.  The back bumper was just done with B2B so it would be good to compare how they both last.  I'll have to let you know how as won't get to see the car until possibly Thursday evening now and it'll probably have rained at least 100 times before then!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 01:56:16 pm by jimbugalee »

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Project Post
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 04:32:00 am »
great stuff really nice to see another one getting some love.  that back box doesnt look like the original to me as its not black painted although it could have come off over the years i suppose but the neck looks very much like my pattern back box which i can't wait to rot away so i HAVE to buy a new vag one which i keep putting off ha ha!  all you need externally though on yours now from what i can see is to relocate that badly postioned 'supercharged' badge put the black vinyl on the boot lid (off dknight as theyre obsolete from vag) and it'll be looking super fresh.  i did my bumpers with a heat gun and it is really impressive!

if you do get a vinyl off dknight for the boot theyre are absolutly faultless and exactly like vw ones i cant fault mine!!!  just take your time fitting it!

keep us upto date this is a nice thread.

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Project Post
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 11:07:21 am »
Small update.  I've been really busy selling parts on Ebay so my lil G40 has been sitting with it's bumper off for a couple of weeks now!

A few more bits from VW.  Wiper arm spray and a sticker (I don't actually know where it goes!!!)  I did get some more stickers from Germany but I seemed to have 'mislaid' them.
Also I won the Ebay auction on the brochure which I was chuffed with :)

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Project Post
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 08:41:23 am »
Another not so exciting update.....!

My lovely boyfriend sent off for a duplicate service book and had it stamped by all the dealers that are still trading and filled in the blanks for those who weren't.  I now have VWFSH until 1999 :)

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Project Post
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 03:01:04 pm »
that sticker goes on the rocker cover i think.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 03:01:16 pm by supercharged spaniel »

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Project Post
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 06:26:08 pm »
Oh man.... I have this sticker too but i was wondering: what the hell it was writing cause the letters are eraced...

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Project Post
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 06:43:04 pm »
says dont overfill oil or catalyst will get damaged

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Project Post
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 11:38:59 am »
UPDATE

Not very excited but fitted my new bumper over the weekend along with lovely new red strips.  It looks pretty fab!  Just need some number plates now.

Slightly changed my plans and am going to finally insure as of 1st October as I feel a bit bad I haven't been driving it for ages and the battery died :( lol

Drive it about for a month or so but nothing major.  Give it a good service then get the charger done in November.

Gonna surprise all my friends at the next VW meet next week as they think I'll never get it insured! lol

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
Re: Project Post
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 07:41:29 am »
Who hoooooooooooooooooo I finally drove the G this weekend.  Wow, I was sooooooooooo excited! Loved it loved it!  I think I'm just gonna be driving it everywhere and my lil Smart is gonna live at the workshop instead hehe

Got it home and gave it ANOTHER wash.  Tried to really work hard on the engine bay.  I'm pleased but it could go with another good go over.

Next month .... charger rebuild ;) YEY

Other bits I'm thinking of soon are:
Brakes & pads - going to paint the calipers the original gold? colour
Going to rub down and paint the wiper arms