Author Topic: rear axle alignment  (Read 1775 times)

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
rear axle alignment
« on: January 30, 2010, 05:38:18 pm »
is the near side rear wheel slightly closer to the arch than the off side?  I can only think this is due to the fuel filler neck?  Never bumped my car or anything but just wondered as my mates lupo seems to have this same thing too.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 06:18:34 pm by supercharged spaniel »

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
Re: rear axle alignment
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 07:06:09 pm »
I think it's just poor build quality from the factory. Build tolerances were shite back in the day. It's not uncommon to find big variations in wheelbase too.
My mk2 is the opposite of yours, where the offside tyre is nearer the arch. When I remove my rear axle I'm gonna adjust the axle mounting brackets to try and centralise it.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 07:16:36 pm »
15+ years of driving over bumpy roads etc.... axle is unlikely to be perfectly straight and aligned.

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 08:02:27 pm »
Both good points to be honest. I mean I'm talking no more than maybe 5mm really as the nearside tyre catches ever so slightly with a bit weight in the car so as you've both highlighted 5mm here or there either from the factory or over time is very possible. Nick mentioned to me the possible rear leaning we often see on mk3's being part of this although mine doesn't lean unevenly believe it or not Unlike many I have seen that do! haha.