Author Topic: Turbo power band??  (Read 6180 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Turbo power band??
« on: January 05, 2010, 06:09:22 pm »
I'm just wondering what aorta power band you can expect from a turbo setup , I've been looking around at tubo dyno graphs but what does t feel like in the car I'm gessing it's a little higher up than a laser but just wondered where to powerband  lies between rpm wise? Also just wondering about rev limits what rpm limits people got on there turbo'd engines
cheers guys

Offline Tommo

• Members
Re: Turbo power band??
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 08:02:20 pm »
No real 'power band' on my car as such...

But come 3.5k rpm it feels like a kick because of wheelspin etc, kind of exaggerates the power increase.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 09:30:24 pm »
I see that power looks like what I'm looking for somthing nice and progressive, what sorta spec have you got? N wich blower have you gone for? I see you e gone for a carb rather thn injection on your car any reason for this ? Nice tourque curve though bet your well happy with the result rnt you?

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 10:34:04 pm »
Yeah im chuffed to bits.

Ive got a T25, basically an S13 200sx turbo with a smaller turbine housing on.

I went for a carb because it was £20, the G40 stuff is expensive, plus I cant map the G40 stuff myself so its a bit pointless.

Get a GT cam and a decent sized turbo, somthing like the GT17 that comes on the Saab 95 Non aero IIRC is a great unit. Get an intercooler but you dont need awt massive, just get one from a scrap yard. Find some way of fuelling it correctly, and theres no reason why you shouldnt be hitting fair big figures.

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 10:51:27 pm »
You've every right to be chuffed Tommo, that's a very impressive dyno sheet.
That's got to be one of the best £ per BHP engine spec's on here.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 06:31:03 am »
It's great to know that this sorta power can be produced with such a low budget!! I've currently got a ko3 setup and I think I'll try running that first as I've got it now !! But if I'd known that such nice power could be obtained on a much much cheaper budget I would of gone down this same sort of route as you! Does your carb give you problems with cold starts and chanez of weather?? It's realy nice to see you don't need big valve heads and engine rebuilds forged pistons and the likes to achive power like you have.
   What block are you running a standard gt block and head ? And did you make your manifold or did you buy it ? If so I mite just buy a gt engine n use that as there alot cheaper thn my g40 engine and have got the higher cr I want for nice drivability off boost. Do you have any knock problems? Does the carb bolt straight to a gt inlet?? Sorry for so many questions just like many others Im realy intrested how you've made such good power for such little cash !! 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 06:48:06 am by dub-disaster »

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 08:09:51 am »
My engine is an ABD 1.4 from a mk3 golf. You dont want to be using a GT engine because they are expensive and the compression ratio is high.

The R5T carb has been 'de choked' so you have to keep it going for a few mins on a cold morning, and it crap at starting when its warm too becuase I cant be arsed to set the bloody thing up right. Seems reliable though.

Dont worry about asking questions, I will answer anything you need to know. But not right now as i have to go to work.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 10:36:43 am »
Cheers for the info, I'm currently thinking about a cc increase anda cr change to around 8.5:1 or 9:1 just looking at all my options. So it's just a standard 1.4 abd petrol from a mk2 golf running standard head?? Before I saw your setup was so good I was either going o go 1341cc with accralites or try n find a 1w bottom end. Just wondered if a abd can be overbored and fitted to a g40 head, with some custom forged pistons may this be an alternative to tryig to find a very elusive 1w bottom end.jusy weighing up my options on a cc increase to see wich one is best. Thanks for your help tommo
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:45:38 pm by dub-disaster »

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 07:16:11 pm »
Yeah Rae's right.

The ABD is the same bore as G40 but a longer stroke, im not sure what you can bore a G40/normal engine to, but It would seem that you can go to that same bore with custom pistons from JE or wherever. You could also design in whatever CR and combustion chamber shape you would want there.

The ABD rods are weaker than G40 ones but they are still pretty strong rods, as long as you dont rev the thing too much then there is no reason why you should have to upgrade. It might be possible to use polo rods with custom pistons on the ABD stroker crank, but if possible this would require a bit more engineering.

carb plate I made

Personally I would (or rather I did) start with a normal 1.3 spi engine, get all your turbo on and everything, fit a decent clutch (my standard one wouldnt handle more than 0.8 bar)  get it all working sweet how you want it.

That way you can learn about tuning your own engine without worrying about destroying it (which you will have to try hard to do) and when you have maxxed it out in terms of power (which will shock you anyway, I could see a standard 1.3 spi crack 200bhp if you wanted to do it) then start thinking about somthing different.

You never know, you might be like me and discover that anything more than about 170bhp makes your car total shite. Not being able to floor a car on the road is boring as hell, ok on the motorway.

Just make sure you know the principles of the operation and try to build up a good knowlege of how you set up turbo cars before you start.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 08:24:12 pm »
cool cheers :)