Author Topic: Where to place boost guage pressure switch and dump valve??  (Read 5507 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Where to place boost guage pressure switch and dump valve??
« on: December 16, 2009, 08:31:45 pm »
Ok just wondering the best/ easiest and most effective place to
a.)tap of the vacuum system for the pressure system, do I just tap into the pipework after the outlet side of the charger?? Is this what people refer to as the vacuum system?
B.) where to tap in the boost guage can i do it at the same place as the pressure switch??
C.) finaly the dump valve where to place it in the pope work can it just have a fitting welded in any part of pipe work after the outlet side of the turbo??
And last but not finally least, what happens to the boost re circ side of the top of the throttle body does this need to be blanked of?? Does the butterfly need removing ?? Can I fit the dump valve here and just remove the butterfly or can I leave it I ?

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Re: Where to place boost guage pressure switch and dump valve??
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 09:41:48 pm »
Any one ??

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 12:36:04 pm »
Ok , yes I am still learning sorry and I did look for answear about the pressure switch but couldn't find where to tap of from and didn't know what was mention by vacum system . I don't mean to ask stupid questions i just dint have as much knowledge on cars as most on here Every time I seem to post somthing someone seems to say I shouldn't be posting or I am doing it uneededly indont mean to be a pain Im just trying to get as much info about turbo conversions from the people that have already done them. Again sorry if I have or still continue to annoy you b ask questions I try and post as little as possible I only started a new topic as I had a genuine question! And In future I'll try and search for info on here better before I start a new topic but please give me a break as you say I am still learning about cars and about fourms and how to use them properly
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 12:39:05 pm by dub-disaster »

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 09:37:30 pm »
Dont worry, We all gotta start somewhere. :D :)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 10:13:16 pm »
Ok this question I've got falls under this same post realy so I'll ask here and I have searched previous threads and the jet to find answears before posting this time !!
Baisicaly I want to know why the standard/ boost return mod setup doesn't work with a turbo why do you have to change it to a dump valve?? Doesn't the butterfly in the t peice at the throttle body do the exact same job as a dump valve ??
My second question is what dump valves people are using there's soo many to choose from I'm majorly confused now ! I was looking at a forge one but there's dump valve re circ valves ones that do both there's single piston twin piston all different kinds and applications I got completley bamboozled in the end by the huge selection.wich one is a good one ?? Do other people make good ones??
Am I right in thinking it's ok to use a straight dump valve because the g40 uses a map sensor rather than a maf wich could cause over feuling when dumping??
Finally is it better to use a recirc as then nothing is wasted if I do this are there any advantages and where to out the boost back in , before the compressor on the inlet side ??
Thanks for your help again in adavance :D

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 08:34:11 pm »
What Rae siad basically. Use a straight forward http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=0006&product=FMDV001 if you want it to woooosh, this is easy to plumb in as its a case of a 25mm take off from a boost pipe (either side of the intercooler will do or on the disused boost return side of the throttle like some do).

To limit the wooosh sound then you can use one of the Forge recirc valves such as the following http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=0006&product=FMCL007P. This is harder to plumb and for ease needs to be T'd off the boost pipe between the turbo and the intercooler and the recirc'd air needs to be T'd back into the system by the air filter ideally.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 10:57:17 pm »
ok guys thanks ill just get a dump then think proably that one in the link looks nice and shiney too !! if you do put it on the unused side of the boost return do you have to wire open then butterfly because it doesnt look very removable?

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 08:46:32 am »
Ok I see what you mean now I've had a look thanks again

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 06:47:33 pm »
best to get the end of the boost return valve opening welded up or connect a pipe to it and bung that up with something.  I've seen other people who've just wired the brv shut but it's not an air tight seal and you'll have a small boost leak. 

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 01:58:53 pm »
thinking ill probably put it on the unused side of the boost return and unclip the linkage cheers for help ever on