Author Topic: Military  (Read 8988 times)

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
Re: Military
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 10:30:50 am »
Dub-Disaster - I can put you in contact with a few people going through OIT at the moment if you like, give you insight on the OASC and OIT, whats expected.

For your interview, Initial and P2 interview.
Have a comprehensive knowledge though on current affairs, all the current and past conflicts, the history behind them.  Structure of the MOD, goverment, name the top individuals in charge, Marshall of the RAf, the Chief of Air Staff (CAS) for example, ministers.  Look on the MOD website and RAF website for full info, and also on RAF website for current operation briefs.  They've been known to just point at a map of the world, and you need to tell them where it is, and whats going on there currently, etc)  Also, be 100% truthful in your, if you do not know the answer , be honest - 'sorry, i have not researched that particular subject etc'.  they can tell if you are blagging it.   History of Air Power need to know.  History of RAF, current active flying stations, aircraft we fly (like all varients of tornado for example, GR4, GR4A (recce), F3 - Typhoon too, T1, T2, soon to have T3, different capalibility block standards.  Also what aircrew training will encompass, aircraft you'll train in, etc.  What your responsible for, etc.  Proper Preperation and Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance - -The 7 P's!

You need to be able to get involved in group discussions on subject matter they choose, hint - get involved, have an informed opinion and argument, take on board other peoples opinions, if you think your right, then accept their opinion and counter with reasons why.  Dont be afraid to jump in there, be first.  You are being assessed all the time.  Initiative exercises, know how to lead, be vocal.

Use SMEAC -

Situation
What’s happening/happened?

Mission
The role of the group

Execution
The specifics of accomplishing the mission

Any Questions
Questions from the group

Confirm Understanding
Ask the group questions, to check they have understood the briefing

A tour of Cranwell can be arranged through the AFCO, I know they have tours of it 2nd thurs of every month if im correct.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 10:36:55 am by hardchargin40 »

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 02:47:35 pm »
http://www.tinman140.blogspot.com/

My mates blog about his time at IOT (Initial Officer Training), last update was 22nd Nov, he'd just got there pretty much.  He should update soon again though.

Apparently the back stabbing has started already (Yes Officers will Fcuk each other over to get ahead and look good), during term 2 though they turn into arse kissers though which is sick to watch apparantly

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 05:52:04 pm »
Thanks again mate this is all gold for me realy wanna do well, I'm going down there Monday dnt think I've got enough time to cram it all in but will try and do ad much as possible when I go on Monday it's not realy an interview it's just to see weather I've got the right qualifications to join as an officer I've got city and guilds 17tu edition regs loads of other courses n qualifications like fork lift driving  sheet metal and composite qualifications also got a lvl 3 nvq as an electrician, I've been told that this counts as 2 a levels bt some say not I rung up about it but the recruiters said they wanna see all my certificates so that's why I'm going to see them on Monday.
Should I still treat it ad a interview and dress smartly and bone up on all the things you mentioned above??
If you could organise something for me to get some insight I'd be over the moon , I want this job more than any thing . The other thing is my eye sight isn't perfect it's close but not bang on I dnt wear glasses unless I'm driving at night will this rule out being a piolt totaly I'm not after fast jets  just wanna fly sumthing!! What's the rules with eye sight??
If I can't be a piolt what other jobs air there where I get to travel alot are paid quite well and have to be an officer for??
One more lil thing is what do I do with my car is there sumwhere I can keep it and work on it or would I have to rent out a garage??
And how much spare time do you get a day will I be able to go to the gym 3 times a week ??
Thanks for your help real realy helpful!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 05:59:12 pm by dub-disaster »

Offline MartinB

• Members
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 12:45:26 am »
May I just add - If any doubt about dressing up smartly just do it. It'll earn you points over anyone else who doesn't mate.

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 10:36:46 pm »
They'll discuss alot with you on Monday and answer many questions.  Definitely go suit and tie jobby!  Don't know who will see you, maybe a cpl or sgt, possible an officer.  Remember though they're job is to recruit, to sell you the armed forces and will try and steer you in particular directions sometimes depending on what quota they have to fill.  Just be sure of what you want.  They may have been there a while too in the AFCO, so a bit stuck in the mud.

Big fitness drive in the forces.  Though we only do one circuit training session a week on the sqns, though when i can i go upto 3-4times in the gym, usually running.   Your are expected to maintain your level of fitness, rise above the rest and all that.  As an officer, you are expected to be an example to your troops below you.
During training, IOT, you'll have many gym circuit sessions a week.  Also the pre IOT fitness test is 1 1/2 miles in under 10:30secs i think, then straight into a bleep test (need above level 10), as many officer style pressups in 2mins (hands placed next to each other, centre of chest and press up, instead of normal shoulder width apart) and RAF sit ups within 2mins, but more than 51 each.  Its maximum best effort, so dont stop at 51, keep going until 2mins time limit as they'll mark you down.  The lad, mike, in the blog did it in 8min 50secs recently, and that is slow to him, but he's an RAF tri-athlete.

One of our lads failed OASC (got through 2nd time though), during the initiative and leadership exercise, he knew he had made a mistake but stupidly said 'sh1t', should have done it like this' with his assessor in earshot and in front of his men.  Got failed, because you cannot admit a mistake in front of your troops, doesn't inspire trust and integrity from them of you.  Though they do tend to treat us RAF candidates a little more harsher as they know that we should be more 'on it'

The lads from my place who have got through, one is going Admin, one already completed IOT and gone for fighter controller, other is doing engineering officer.

You will do your aptitude tests at OSAC too, its about 8hours long for aircrew.

You'll be having a full on medical too before you go in, naked, and err cough please.

Not sure on the rules regarding eye sight.  We've a pilot, who wears the med centre issue glasses for flying, without them he's blind as a bat, used to joke about blagging the eye tests.

If your interested...
Some good vids of us larking around and serious stuff in gulf and kandahar...

1 Sqn Harriers  H4H Rockstar Song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjOKkNOqYUo&feature=related

31 Sqn Ali Al Salem during the 2003 war (my old sqn, i was there too)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkJsbECgKeA

The one the BBC made when we were there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j01Z-T9zK_U&feature=related
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 11:03:08 am by hardchargin40 »

Offline DMWG40

• Members
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 12:50:13 pm »
i like this thread

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 09:08:11 pm »
Its Official... We've all been sacked.  Praise be the Labour Goverment! ::) ;)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 09:15:35 pm »

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2009, 08:05:33 pm »
28 to 32k, i should of tried harder. lol.

Fred.

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2010, 07:32:44 pm »
Been routing through my photobucket, found these still on there from a trail last January.  enjoy.

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2010, 08:09:17 pm »
quality pics mate, they're awsome

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2010, 11:37:23 pm »
Cheers Mate, Airbourne ones, just taken from the VC10's window with a shitty camera... quite pleased with how they came out.

I won a backseater flight in one of our tornado's (about bloody time, lol) at our xmas beercall raffle just before xmas, so looking forward to when they can fit me in to take me up flying.  Will get some photos of that for sure.

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2010, 08:34:59 pm »
a good mate of mine has started a site for people in the forces to talk about all things to do with it...www.pullupasandbag.com