Author Topic: rear disc conversion on a mk3 polo  (Read 7751 times)

Offline VW_rae

• Members
rear disc conversion on a mk3 polo
« on: December 03, 2009, 09:34:51 pm »
hi guys i just wanted to know if i got a set of mk2 golf rear discs do they jus slot on in place of the drums on a ml3 polo g40?brake lines are they the same i know i have to get new hb cables is ther any thing else?

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
Re: rear disc conversion on a mk3 polo
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 10:19:04 pm »
You'll have to remove the complete drum assemblies inc. backplates first. Then you will need the Golf stub axles to bolt on to the rear beam, then fit the discs.
Watch out for seized or sticking calipers if you're using MK2 Golf GTi ones.

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 10:22:50 pm »
in short - no.

You will need to strip the drum off the axel leaving it bare. Then get a a pair of mk2 golf stub axels and bolt them in place. Then get a pair of mk2 golf discs. Then get a pair of rear golf mk2 wheel bearings. Then get a pair of rear mk2 golf caliper carrier brackets. Then you will need to get a set of golf mk2 steel or the lighter golf mk4 rear calipers. Then you will need to get some pads and THEN you will need to fabricate a hand brake cable. Easy!

Offline swiftg40

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 11:34:11 pm »
i've got a full set up (minus handbrake cable) here if your interested,
basically everything jez1272 has mentioned above
cheers

Offline VW_rae

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 05:44:41 pm »
cheers lads i thort the mk2 hb cables plug and played?what did u get the cables off?

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 07:43:20 pm »
i made my cables from polo and mk2 golf ones cut to lenth and solderd nipples on. all a ball ache to be honest wish i didnt bother.

Offline The Duck

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 09:10:06 pm »
I used ones from a golf MK3.
I had to make some end caps to locate the cables in the end stops in the rear beam. Simple circular adaptors to fit the cable in and allow the inner to go through. Could be made from some round metal bar, go see your local metal dealer.
I also had to make some nipples (I used brass and drilled it), trim the cables to length, solder on the end nipples with lead free pipe solder for strength and fit it all together.
Much easier than it sounds.

The harder part is ensuring you don't lock up the rear under normal braking by correctly setting the BPR.

If you want me to make you some adaptors that you can use for nipples and cable ends let me know.

Quack.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 05:53:09 pm »
you can also use solderless nipples for motorbike cables.

Offline VW_rae

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 08:23:36 pm »
has any one got ne pics?

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 07:53:03 pm »
I used the complete set up from a late 80's/early 90's Passat, minus the handbrake cable (with new discs, pads, bearings, pistons), mk2 golf rear hoses and short pieces of copper pipe (which aren't on drum brake models). I also had to space the stub axles out by about 1/2 inch so the tyres (195/45/15, 7 inch rim) would clear the rear spring seat (spax non-coilovers), but this won't be an issue with 5.5 or 6 inch wide rims. The mistake I made was to put new nipples on the end of the Polo cables as the handbrake never really worked properly with the standard compensator set up. And it got worse over time 'cos of the shitty early calipers, so I'm planning on swapping to the golf 4 ones but haven't really looked into the cable options yet.

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 12:02:32 am »
short pieces of copper pipe (which aren't on drum brake models)

Oops, got this slightly wrong, as I realised while washing up! There are obviously hard pipes on drum brake models. What I should have said was the copper pipe is different because it connects the 2 flexi pipes (one goes to caliper and one to chassis), and were tricky little buggers to shape. I used a Goodridge G40 hose kit plus the 2 for the mk2 Golf, the ones from the calipers to the beam.