Author Topic: what turbo k03/k04/gt../hybrid... how do people find the lag after s.charger...  (Read 14588 times)

Offline Tommo

• Members
A good compromise betwen a straight T25 and K03 is a Garret turbo off a Saab. I believe it is the GT1752. Same spool as a K03, and capable of slightly more bhp. Can run a "ebay" T25 manifold too

The man speaks the truth. Gt17 off a saab 93 non aero.

Ive got a 200SX S13 turbo on mine but with a .49 AR turbine housing instead of the .64 one.

The S14 turbos have a bigger compressor wheel, but its a bit too big really.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 10:03:30 pm by Tommo »

Offline Andy

• Traders
LPT Saab 9-5s use the same turbo too.

Be careful though, the 9-5s have sump sludge issues - which best case starve the turbo of oil and kill that, worst case kill the cylinder head and later the engine if you leave it long enough. So check out whatever you're buying first - even if it's off a low mileage car you know.

Would be interested to see the results of someone trying a GT17. On the 2.3l 16v Saab lumps they max out at 240bhp - compared to 220bhp for the K03-005 on a 1.8l 20v motor. If I get my hands on one cheap enough then we'll try it on Yoof's car for a proper K03/GT2554R/GT1752 comparison.

Offline Andy

• Traders
Someone tryed a K03 with a 3F cam on wich RPM it spools?  ???
It'll spool at about 1800rpm (vs about 1500rpm on a G40 cam) and start to choke up at 5500rpm if not before. Ideally you need a lairier cam than a GT one.

Offline Andy

• Traders
have k04's actually been done by anyone on here?
Only person i know of thats done it is Jay Mac. He doesnt get on here really but he did it to his mk1 polo. Not sure if he has it anymore though been up for sale quite awhile!
The one on Jay's Mk1 G40 turbo was an eBay special Chinese-copy of a K03-005 with a strong actuator spring. Exactly the same type of turbo that Yoof killed at Oulton Park about a year ago.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Where would you get a g40 manifold to fit a gt17 and could you use the same cam as the psd ko3 one ?? I looked on eBay for a t25 one and couldn't find any am slightly tempted to try this rather than the ko3 as it may produce slightly lower charge temps, I assume I would need to get A custom downpipe to suit or maybe one from emtec designed for the t25 turbo that they do with there kit hmm would be intresting maybe a little safer aswell especialy for long motorway drives.
What would be the advantages of running the piggyback ecu set up you where talking about andy improoved economy around the 15psi setting I was thinking of and could have a more specific map for the 21-23psi boost ??
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:17:38 pm by dub-disaster »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
he's not talking about a piggyback ecu, it's an adaptor that allows you to run two maps on one (twice the size) chip and switch between the two.  A piggyback ecu is something different.

Where would you get a g40 manifold to fit a gt17

well that's been exactly my point all along!  People use k03 because it works, it's proven to make 200bhp reliably and can be done with cheap (ish) off the shelf parts.  Plus since so many people have done it there's loads of info.  Using other stuff you're going to have to make a lot of custom parts and figure things out for yourself.  From what I've seen of yoof's emtech kit it isn't all that great.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Hayesey is correct- the Emtech kit requires some chopping and moving of oil cooler, and I'm having another downpipe made as the one with it fouls the block.

K03 is a good turbo for the 1341cc- anyone who says it's too small hasn't driven one- or been out in a properly mapped one. A proven 193bhp on a 1341cc stock head, or 1272cc with BV head, or 203bhp with 1341cc and bv head.