Author Topic: boost controll  (Read 3597 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
boost controll
« on: November 13, 2009, 12:07:34 am »
hi all,
   just wondered what people use as there boost controll for there turbos i do eventualy intend on running high boost is it worth investion in one of those electronic boost controllers, i will use a bleed valve for the minute on low oost untill i can get a decent map sorted out, i know people on here use a forge actuator but how do you controll the boost on that , is it just by changing the spring?
 How do you guys running high boost controll it? i want nice smooth as possible power delivery?? thanks again
Antony

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
Re: boost controll
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 08:40:06 pm »
You'll need to use a mechanical actuator or bleed off valve if you are going to run your standard ECU, if you want an electrical boost controller then you'll need to run an aftermarket management system so it can control the boost controller.

Just because you are going for 'high' boost doesn't mean you need an electrically controlled actuator. Out of interest what boost are you going to run seeing as you are saying 'high boost?!'

On the forge actuator you control the boost by adjusting the spring tension in the actuator by moving 2 nuts on the actuator shaft.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 08:58:19 pm »
well you could use a stand alone electronic boost controller if you wanted to.  It would allow you to have switchable boost maps to run lower boost when cruising and switch to high boost at other times.  but like robin says most people stick with the forge actuator with whatever spring you want in it.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 09:04:20 pm »
ok ill go with that then,ive got an adjustable actuator on it at the moment with two nuts that you adjust attached to the arm but its not a forge one,
With regards to what robin said sorry i didnt mean high boost i just ment higher than 15psi boost i was thinking of going around 20 psi i still want a drivable car, have been thinking about a ko4 but i dont think that setup is gonna be as drivable as a nicley setup 1341cc what do you guys think , im going to be driving the car on motorways to shows and stuff country lane blasting and few trips down to the coast and that not daily but reasonable frequently, was thinking 1341cc forged with 9:1 cr and ive got a bvh on the way .
I want a really realiable setup thats not to much of a handfull to drive, was thinking a ko4 setup would be better suited to the track rather than the road and would proably require more wedge ??