Author Topic: Something for the weekend  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Varley

• Members
Something for the weekend
« on: November 08, 2009, 07:40:23 pm »
Don't know about you lot but I like nothing better than getting up on a sunday morning, aiming for a big empty bit of the map (in my case the hampshire/wiltshire/dorset wilderness) and burning a tank or so of super unleaded purely in the name of fun.

Lately I've been having various issues which meant I kept grounding out on 'real world' roads so weekend thrashes have been thin on the ground but now thanks to GAZ (and mastercard) the G is fighting fit and ready to take on the B roads, so today was the first chance in ages to go do an 'all dayer' and it was absolutely awesome!

Boost/brake/turn/boost/brake/turn/booooost!-BOOOOOST! Yeesss!

Ended up doing 220 odd miles of twisties with yocal pub grub at some point along the way - does it get any better? Made the last year of SORN's, cash crises and shi**y daily drivers all worth it.

Just thought I'd share!

Offline Weeman

• Members
Re: Something for the weekend
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 07:56:04 pm »
Im so missing doing this sort of thing in my G, really missing it at the mo, but i know once ive finished rebuilding it i wil finally be able to drive it for years to come!

Offline cheddarcheese

• Members
  • i like boobs!
    • supercharged
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 08:07:14 pm »
I have been paying for insurance on my G for a year and i think i have driven it twice! now it out of mot and iv just got it fit for the road! i cant wait till i use a full tank or more of fuel on a rag!

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 08:33:07 pm »
i love this sort of thing and know exactly how you feel and how mint this is.  I do this all the time..2-3 times a month.  In the last month ive been to scotland, berwick, holy island, kielder resevoir, carlisle, lake windemere.  best way to enjoy a G40.

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 08:33:49 pm »
ohh and york..set off at 2am..came back about 5am  ha ha..empty dark roads..the best..

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 09:08:47 pm »
i did york in mine last month, 11am friday morning, nothing but traffic and lots and lots of rain, after lovely day sightseeing and a couple of pints it only took 4 hours in standstill traffic to get back to sheffield, lol. what a day

Offline wozzaG40

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 04:27:39 pm »
Been a long time since i have had the chance to do this in my G, poor thing is sat in the garage (Gearbox issues) and im using my mates G so can't hammer that too much, if something went wrong on it he would kill me so have to drive it nicely.

But well done for getting out there and enjoying it, after all thats what most of us here got ours for anyway. Hope you get another chance to do it again while you can still get atleast some grip on the roads :-)

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 08:12:02 pm »
I'm so jealous i hate you! lol

Offline Varley

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 09:04:16 pm »
It is annoying to get it mechanically spot on just as the clocks go back but it's awesome just to be driving it again to be honest.

Driving it to work every day too at the moment - treats! Not sure my neighbours are glad to see the return of the morning warm up routine though...

For those of you with the 'work in progress' signs up we've all been there but just make sure it's on the road come spring at least!

Spaniel, you've got some awesome roads up your way - I used to do deliveries all over county durham, northumberland and the borders in a sprinter, great views and sod all traffic too. Perfect. Fair play for getting out and enjoying them. Will be up seeing my mates in the new year you should show me round!