Author Topic: Club G40 RR Day Results  (Read 11938 times)

Offline Andy

• Traders
Club G40 RR Day Results
« on: October 25, 2009, 11:02:44 am »

Congrats to Hayesey who was top dog of the Polos!

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
Re: Club G40 RR Day Results
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 11:37:06 am »
LOL, mods - Dog on passenger seat.

Yer Buggers!

I really enjoyed the Day and was most pleased with the welcomed atmosphere.

A Damned good Laugh.

Many thanks to all.

Oh! & it`s a Genisis not cl,   ;D

Regards, Fred.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 11:48:56 am by Fred »

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 12:06:52 pm »
Rae's car made less power with an SNS chip?!? :o

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 01:10:50 pm »

Congrats to Hayesey who was top dog of the Polos!

Hey Nicky boy it looks like you owe me a breakfast bap!

pow.

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 01:36:35 pm »
Just goes to show how much you get through transmission losses! Book figure for the 535i with the M62 lump is 232 bhp. And surely that Audi S3 book figure should is 225 bhp? Very similar amount of loss to the BMW. Would have been good to see what your A3 quat is putting down Robin ;D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 01:45:07 pm by Nick_S »

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 02:19:32 pm »
i was confused by the S3 because when i put mine on the rollers (2.0TFSI Quattro) it ran fine with no issues. Produced 240bhp at the fly and i think it was 180 at the wheels.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 03:24:04 pm »
has a cracking day and was chuffed to bits with the results.  Was expecting somewhere between 180 and 190. 

The AFR printout is very useful, for one thing it's showed us that my car is going very rich for a period around 6k rpm so we can now tweak the map to sort that out.

I was a bit surprised at that SNS chip too but is was very rich indeed.  Just kind of shows that generic off the shelf chips don't always work.

Fred, that extra one dog power made all the difference!

Thanks to John Sleath too for putting up with us lot all day and even providing a bit of scran since as per usual none of us bothered taking any dinner.  Glad that he took interest in the cars too even though the cars he usually has on the rollers probably make more power at idle than ours do at maximum.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 03:27:56 pm »
haha yeah, just putting my clothes in the wash now, got a nice soaking with bmw coolant.  Did you get it home ok nick? what did your old man say?

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 03:33:33 pm »
Oh! & it`s a Genisis not cl,   ;D
My bad - sorry Fred! At least I got the list of mods right...  ;D

Rae's car made less power with an SNS chip?!? :o
The chip clearly wasn't suited to Rae's spec, probably for a more highly modified car - it was very rich! Was very useful for people to get AFR plots on their graphs, something we don't get at Aldon - but it tells you a lot about how the car's setup.

Just goes to show how much you get through transmission losses! Book figure for the 535i with the M62 lump is 232 bhp. And surely that Audi S3 book figure should is 225 bhp? Very similar amount of loss to the BMW.
Autobox losses can be huge, plus it's hard to get a true power curve from an auto - e.g. it might not deliver max torque 'til the higher gears, but you can generally only ever lock it in the lower ratios.
The S3 clearly had the hump with the dyno and had gone into a torque-limited mode. John'd seen that before on other newer cars, am sure if the owner had known what to unplug to stop it having a fit it'd make more power!

I think the figures look pretty good apart from the mardy S3. The lightly modded Clio 172 (renowned for not making stock power!) made around the book figures, as did Pete's well setup stock G40. Varley's 1W made 167bhp at Aldon previously and repeated that here - and the Civic is up on standard power as you'd expect from its mods.

I'm still highly amused that Robin's and Hayesey's cars are within less than 1bhp of one another! The only real difference is Hayesey has a BV head, whereas Robin has a stock one but 1341cc bottom end. The higher compression of the 1341cc comes in useful on the turbo'd motor though - lower down the rev range Robin's car makes 10bhp more than Hayesey's, even though Hayesey's turbo spools earlier thanks to the BV head.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 03:36:45 pm »
Thanks to John Sleath too for putting up with us lot all day and even providing a bit of scran since as per usual none of us bothered taking any dinner.  Glad that he took interest in the cars too even though the cars he usually has on the rollers probably make more power at idle than ours do at maximum.

yeah was v good....

the coolant flavoured bourbons were loooovelly hehe... ;)
Grant clearly enjoyed the coolant-flavoured food too - he was busy nailing the soggy and slightly sweetened sarnies!

I got the coolant right in the face, think VW stuff tastes nicer. ;)

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 03:49:39 pm »
The coolant 'leak' was the biggest LOL EVER even though i was right in the firing line!

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 04:01:23 pm »
yeah was a good day, never knew of this outside world, its wild

Yeah results were good for me, had alot of small issues with my car, so i decided to take it back to standard
"DIY ported head", how dare you, basically ported it to smooth off the bits that should not be there, not really for super power gains, mostly just for ease of air flow and running.
Chip and pulley, everything else stock

Pleased with the results, its running best it has in a long time!

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 04:18:05 pm »
haha yeah, just putting my clothes in the wash now, got a nice soaking with bmw coolant.  Did you get it home ok nick? what did your old man say?

Got home fine, took it easy. Not even a dribble out of the hose connection on that little bit of a stump left after the plastic sheared off on the rollers.  Old fella is non the wiser ;)

Aint soo baaaadd

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-5-SERIES-95-98-E39-7-SERIES-94-98-E38-RADIATOR-NEW_W0QQitemZ270473026042QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3ef972d9fa

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 07:02:00 pm »
a pic of mine courtesy of rocket

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 09:26:02 pm »
looks like you all had a good day

i took my A3 20vt quattro to rolling road before which was mapped at jabbasport up to 230bhp but could only get 160 on rolling road, could have been the quattro system playing up as it drove awesome on road