Author Topic: few questions all related to rear boot lid/vinyl/badges etc  (Read 8705 times)

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
well i was mooching around a yard and saw a white coupe tailgate.  checked it out and it was in really good condition and unetched!  not tinted but mathces the rest of the car for now.  as i havent got the funds or the time for the full respray at the moment that i really want i thought this one would do for now to replace the absolutly skanky tailgate on the car that has gone from bad to worse, really letting the car down.  keeping my totally rust free tailgate for the repray but this one turned out great! anyways bagged two really good boot dampers to replace the ONE i had (as i didnt want to use the brand new ones i bought ages ago) and spent from 4-10 tonight removing the old one carefully. putting speaker cables down the new one and feeding it through removing the cables and washer lines out of it and then fitting it to my car, pulled the loom through with the cable i'd fitted, T cut it and dipped into the selection of new bolts i'd bought for the plynth etc in prep for the respray boot, why not i can buy them again?!

anyways the result is amazing! and i will get pics up asap (tomorrow of the old one and the new)

anyways aside all this i now have a few questions!

my 'PoloG40' badge was never fitted wll and has lost its sticky ness. i tried double sided tape but i really need some of that black rubbery double sided...where do i get it and what is it called?  its the stuff you see on these kinds of badges and i need some.

secondly...im going to use the boot vinyl i bought off DKnight..ive asked him for some advice on fitting which is great but does anyone else have any words of warning before i give it a shot?

dan are you still doing the boot vinyls?  i will need another one then sometime if i use this one..

anyways the car looks 100% better since doing this it was a real let down! LOL  LOL

cheers
dan

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: few questions all related to rear boot lid/vinyl/badges etc
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 08:50:10 am »
i prefer not to use any sticky on the rear badge - that way it comes off easily to polish the car (a bons with a fading red car)

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
Re: Re: few questions all related to rear boot lid/vinyl/badges etc
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 12:29:51 pm »
Yeah I've not used any sticky stuff on my rear badges for ages Dan, they are fine without em. Get the pics up, I did this with my old black one only I managed to find one with tinted glass.

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: Re: few questions all related to rear boot lid/vinyl/badges etc
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 05:16:10 pm »

and the final result.  before the plate though.  soooo much better, all with new light lenses for the number plate and bolts and washers from vag all round!!!chuffed!  this was the worst part of the cars body work by far!  looked like someone had attempted to repair (badly) some minor damage in its life??

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
Looks like a good panel that Dan. Scaring me slightly because mine is rusting in the same places!

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 09:24:43 pm »
I'm lucky. I've got a patch on the bottom of the boot (not on the lid) where the paints come off and that's it.

The bootlid does make the car look cleaner. Did all G's have that vinyl in the plate recess? Mines a '91 and it don't have one.

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 09:26:01 pm »
I'm lucky. I've got a patch on the bottom of the boot (not on the lid) where the paints come off and that's it.

The bootlid does make the car look cleaner. Did all G's have that vinyl in the plate recess? Mines a '91 and it don't have one.

as far as i know yes.

Offline katabatic

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 08:07:00 pm »
Hi,

My comments only really apply to my own (and maybe other) black cars.

I have no vinyl on the tail gate or between front and rear side windows - I think I probably would have removed it anyway. My early (A reg) Mk2 square back (1 litre then 1991 GT spec) had no vinyl or rubbing strips on the doors either.

I have also removed/not replaced all the wheelarch and sill plastic on my G after seeing a gorgeous white G at Steve's in Littlehampton a couple of years ago. I think the effect makes for a much cleaner looking car.

Also, get a 'POLO' rear badge off a CL or similar and carefully remove the chrome effect paint with increasingly fine wet'n'dry (used wet), finish with t-cut and polish. You now have a gorgeous satin finish badge which will fit the holes in your tailgate and you can do this to you grill badge too if you like a subtle appearance! People who know realise what they're looking at.

Dave.

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 06:36:37 pm »
As mine didnt have one, i was starting to think my car was a conversion!

Offline GSBellew

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 11:39:53 pm »
As mine didnt have one, i was starting to think my car was a conversion!

The number plate vinyl has / had a habit of shrinking and cracking with age / exposure to the elements, think a lot of G40's probably lost theirs due to the owners removing them after they started to crack.

Offline buster.g40

• Members
  • Old enough to know better....
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 12:13:21 am »

my 'PoloG40' badge was never fitted wll and has lost its sticky ness. i tried double sided tape but i really need some of that black rubbery double sided...where do i get it and what is it called?  its the stuff you see on these kinds of badges and i need some.

We use J Tape Clear logo tape to fix badges onto cars.It's much
better than the 3m tape we use to use.It's a bit thinner than the
3m stuff and the badges almost sit flush with the surface it's
being mounted to.

Logo Tape Clear