Author Topic: Oh hell - help needed!!!  (Read 4769 times)

Offline G40_FUNK

• Members
  • Chris
Oh hell - help needed!!!
« on: June 15, 2008, 05:34:40 pm »
Guys please help

Noticed a bit of bubbling around the inside of the filler and around the outside around the fuel flap area. Ive just rubbed it down, with the plan of rust remover then touch up, but some of the metal work has literally fallen away!!!!  Is it possible to still get the entire rear wings?!  I guess this would be advisable over a large area cut out and welded?!

I could then get it resprayed and fitted.  Help urgently needed >_<

Chris

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Oh hell - help needed!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 07:33:46 pm »
how bad is it?  I'd have thought you'd just be able to get a bodyshop to repair the area rather than replace the entire rear quarter.  I don't think the panel is available but you could just cut a clean one off in a scrapyard.  However, I think it's highly unlikely a bodyshop would want to go to that extreme unless the damage is that bad.

A mate of mine bought a mk2 coupe s once which had a LOT of rust around that area, the bodyshop just cut the rust out and made plates to replace the metal and skimmed it with filler, looked as good as new afterwards.  Was only about £300 if I remember correctly.

Offline G40_FUNK

• Members
  • Chris
Re: Re: Oh hell - help needed!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 12:20:37 pm »
Thanks.  There are 2 holes around 3-4mm in diameter, but in not sure how bad the surrounding metal is.  Also there is rust around the filler cap itself.  Yep, i recon its a repair job, now ive stopped panicing.  I will get it looked at.  Thanks for your help.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
Re: Re: Re: Oh hell - help needed!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 12:31:48 pm »
Any chance of some pictures? This area was done on my car before I bought it and its starting to come back through. Will need some attention shortly.

Offline VeeDubG40

• Members
  • VeeDubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: Oh hell - help needed!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 12:02:28 am »
Not sure about aftermarket rear quarter panels, they might exist but then you will always have that problem of a bad fit.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 12:03:19 am by VeeDubG40 »