Author Topic: turbo remapping with PPP  (Read 11780 times)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
turbo remapping with PPP
« on: October 12, 2009, 10:45:34 am »
Had a very productive weekend getting my ECU map properly sorted out for running lots of boost with the turbo. 

Started off at the PPP headquarters in Cheshire on Friday afternoon and saturday morning to get a vernier pulley setup, reset ignition timing and do some general checking over to make sure everything is in top shape before turning up boost and doing some final mapping. 

In the PPP unit.

Dial gauge measuring TDC to setup the vernier.  In the end the vernier didn't need much adjustment but it's now totally spot on.  Ignition timing needing moving a fair bit after this though to get it set to it's factory base timing.  There's no point trying to do ignition remapping when the dizzy base setting isn't spot on.

Then I even gave the car a wash which is a rare treat for it.

After that and after going for a few beers in Crewe (can't say I recommend the Wetherspoons there though, awful beer) on Friday night.  I set off for round two on saturday afternoon.

Saturday evening and all day Sunday were spent down at the PPP midlands office/workshop near Leamington Spa for remapping.  We'd already done this before and Andy had got the fuelling pretty spot on when we went out at the polo show on sunday and did some road mapping.  The main aim for this weekend was to wind the boost up to my target of 20psi, switch the aquamist on, make some more tweaks to the fuel map (since we'd be hitting some load points we'd not seen before in my car with the increased boost pressure) and then do some ignition mapping.  It's actually much, much better to do ignition mapping on a dyno because on the road it's very difficult to maintain steady load and do clean sweeps through the rev range, especially since on bumpy lanes my car is very bouncy with it's suspension more set for the track than poorly maintained country lanes!  Anyway since the rolling road we like to use was out of action for a while (and others wanting silly money per hour to use) we decided to just spend more time getting ignition as sorted as possible on the road.  Then the plan is to do just a single hour on the rollers before the RR day in a couple of weeks.

So we spent the day doing this and it went very well despite the weather being a bit shitty to start with.  Andy got the job sorted well and was frantically adjusting advance figures while I was trying to listen to his instructions at the same time as trying not to bump-steer into ditches. 

So by the end of sunday I'm really happy with what PPP have achieved this weekend and Andy experience with just knowing what numbers to put in where are what makes it possible.  It doesn't matter how much money you spend on fancy mapping gear it'll take you a very long time to get anywhere without the experience of just knowing how much ignition advance to dial in or how much more or less fuel is required at certain points etc...

Unfortunately didn't really get any pics of remapping since we were just too busy but here are the graphs of the fuel and ignition maps we ended up with.  They don't really tell you anything but it's good to see how nice & smooth and progressive they've turned out to be, what I've found is that it's actually relatively straight forward to get the full throttle, high power mapping done but where the work is, is in getting all the million and one combinations of light load, partial throttle stuff done which turns a car which is undriveable on the road to being basically as smooth as you'd expect a standard car to be.

So the next step is an hour on the rollers to do some final ignition tweaks and just a general check up, then to see what it makes at the RR day in a fortnight.  All I know is that it feels bloody quick.

Offline nikky

• Members
Re: turbo remapping with PPP
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 01:44:47 am »
good read there ;D ;D
looking good,what power you hoping for??
looking at a remap for mine soon
 :o

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 09:26:09 am »
hoping for somewhere in-between 180 and 190bhp.

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 07:41:40 pm »
so did you get it to 20 psi?

i think at that with your setup you'll break 200bhp

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 08:10:09 pm »
yeah it's at 20psi.  Not sure about 200bhp, would prob need more like 22-23psi and it's still 1272cc too.  We shall see in a week and a half though.  ;D

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 09:19:45 pm »
great to read that Paul and glad you've finally got there after all that hard work you've put in, its good to get a great result at the end of the day, i also think it'll top 200bhp on the rr day.
nice work matey

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 09:41:56 pm »
Reckon it'll need a bit more boost to see the magic 200bhp, and possibly a capacity increase - Yoof's made 203bhp, but was running 22-23psi and is 1341cc.

Anyway, it's going on the dyno the night before the RR day to check that we've got every last bhp out of it...

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 09:56:51 pm »
sounds great Andy, seriously considering putting a turbo on mine now,

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 10:27:39 pm »
standard comp ratio and big valve head i think will see you to 200bhp.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 12:26:21 pm »
We'll see next week!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 04:01:36 pm »
more remapping this weekend just gone the day before the club g40 RR day.  The last bits of mapping have been done on rolling road at John Sleath Race Cars. 

Andy (Polo PP) in the passenger seat tapping away at his laptop.

The end result was 161.6bhp at the wheels which translated to 192.8bhp at the flywheel.  So very happy with that, would have been happy with anything above 180bhp.  Didn't break the 200bhp barrier but then I knew it wouldn't with the spec it's at.  Probably approaching the limits of what you can safely get from a 1272cc bottom end with cast pistons. 

andy was doing some mapping on robins car the same day too, that is a similar spec but 1341cc bottom end but with a standard head (mine has a big valve head).  Robin's car actually got 0.2bhp less peak power but over about 75% of the rev range it's making 10bhp more than mine thanks to a combination of a few extra cc's and (probably moreso) 9:1 compression as oppose to 8:1 mine has.  Robin's would also be nicer to drive off boost, John Sleath commented that mine felt more like a moody race car not doing much off boost whereas Robin's was nicer off boost.

I've got no immediate plans to swap for a 1341cc bottom end right now though.  I'm happy with where it is at.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 05:01:41 pm »
Here is the dyno printout from the end, the graph shows horsepower at the wheels and also boost pressure:

Offline poloeatonm45

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 07:10:51 pm »
i really like them wheel bud what are they ? are they 15inch?

steven

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 07:15:53 pm »
they're 15" Compomotive MOs  8) I like them too.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 09:42:18 pm »
yoof has uploaded a video to youtube of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxirX8L4wjE