Author Topic: 2 cylinders down  (Read 1999 times)

Offline grayg40

• Members
2 cylinders down
« on: September 23, 2009, 08:41:41 pm »
not having a good day, went to work yesterday morning car running fine, after work car running on 2 cylinders (1 and 2 not firing). managed to get her home and start checking things, took plugs out of 1 and 2 and they were wet, so i put other plugs in ,no change. replaced leads, no change, so i checked the dizzy seemed to be ok but changed that and arm today again no change. took a meter and checked the feeds to the injectors and they were all giving the same reading . checked the timing and that was fine, took the rocker off and nothing suspicious.
a list of things ave checked
plugs
leads(plenty of spark)
dizzy cap(replaced)
rotor arm(replaced)
timing
injectors and electrical feeds.
I find it funny that there was no problem on the way to work and then when started it up after work she was only firing on no 3 and 4.
has anyone got any idea of what it could be before i rip the head off (and probably my own)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: 2 cylinders down
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 08:43:59 pm »
I guess a compression test is the next thing to do, have you tested for a spark on those cylinders by removing the plugs and holding them against the head while someone cranks the engine? (Remove the yellow fuse on top of the fuse box while you do this so the fuel pumps and injectors aren't running while doing it).

Offline grayg40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 10:20:37 pm »
tried that. i thought the injectors are working cos the plugs were wet. my mate thought that there might be shit stuck in 1 and 2 injectors and making them stick open and hose through to much fuel. would that be the problem?
will comp test it tomorrow night after work before i take the rail off and see what kind of spray they are putting out.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 09:46:09 am »
yeah injectors must be working, if you've tested the spark plugs, is there a decent strong spark or not?

Offline grayg40

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 10:11:11 am »
yes good spark.
am thinking fuel rail or injectors stuck open cos there is not a metalic sound from the engine when running.
The car has a strong smell of petrol when running but that could just be because the cylinders are not firing.