Author Topic: speed camera question  (Read 3233 times)

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
speed camera question
« on: September 22, 2009, 03:09:37 pm »
travelling along and on the opposite side of the road was a mobile speed camera.  The front of it facing me.  I slowed down just as i past and the camera was pointing out the back window..so basically facing the oncoming traffic..fine i thought. However there was a small cctv camera, like the ones found in a shop pointing out the front, at me as i travelled towards it.  What was this one for?  Im pretty sure its unrelated to the 'speed' camera as it was tiny in comparison and white, exactly like a small shop cctv camera?  Anyone know for sure  what it does? just surveilance for the van?  if its not i would of defo be traveling too quick as i approached the front of the van.  only the back had the warning stripes on it so it was fairly un noticable from the front until you got close to it.

Offline sinister polo

• Members
  • drive it like u stole it
Re: speed camera question
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 05:08:32 pm »
i think you will find that it was an "anpr" camera that checks passing cars number plates for insurance,
tax and other things!

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 06:33:02 pm »
the one sticking out the back?  no it was a speed camera.  it even said 'safety camera'

Offline sinister polo

• Members
  • drive it like u stole it
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 07:34:28 pm »
aha no i mean the white one sticking out the front!

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 08:12:13 pm »
i think you will find that it was an "anpr" camera that checks passing cars number plates for insurance,
tax and other things!

Exactly what it is; your humble,mobile gatso has moved up a gear or two. I wouldn't mind, but just where information gathered goes is the problem. Tax and insurance fair enough, it's the "other things" that bother me.

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 07:15:38 pm »
one that sticks out the back is a speed camera so takes your speed one thats in the front takes number plate of the back of the vehicle incase its a motorbike.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 08:21:11 pm »
I'd like to think you're right, but what sinister polo said is what I've been told by the fuzz themselves. " a gizmo for a totally different job" was how it was put.

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 08:29:52 pm »
well thats what the camera vans in cumbria are like anyway.