Author Topic: gsf have proved for once they are ok  (Read 7145 times)

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
gsf have proved for once they are ok
« on: June 10, 2008, 05:39:22 pm »
my discs were looking a bit shot and had seen two sets of pads so was a bit bored yesterday so decided ill change them.  had a full system bleed recently with fluid from vag and rear brake shoes so would be nice to get some new brakes at the front as they werent feeling great.  

anyways popped over to the 'toon' (newcastle) and got a set of Brembo discs and Pagid pads (no fancy grooved versions or anything mind, not my thing)  all in for 50 quid!  fitted them that day and they feel really good...i mean they aint ever gonna be brilliant as we all know but it feels like its got a nicer bite now.  before i was going along a straight road late at night at some speed coming upto a round about and i really thought i wasnt gonna stop...you could hear the discs whirring?  like a humm noise..i've had it before i think its when the discs start to get score marks on them and become generally old and glazed...plus they were binding after a hammering which aint good either.

anyways all cleaned up and replaced and am happy and gsf..had the parts in and were cheapish for some decent kit so am happy.

to be honest i don't know what people winge about with G40 brakes..No they arn't amazing but they have a nice raw driving feel..especially if they are upto scratch, new fluid, discs, pads, shoes, cylinders and adjusted right with braided hoses... whats peeps opinions?

not sure i'd recommend this sort of kit for higher powered G's but for a mildly tuned one like mine theyre spot on!!

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: gsf have proved for once they are ok
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 05:43:19 pm »
i forgot to say i mention proved themselves for once.meaning... i always have some fuss or the parts are shockingly shit in my experience.  bought a clutch from there too but that was a LUK one anyways so was fine..

don't think i could bear to use them for the majority of stuff but consumables like brakes and things seems OK

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Re: gsf have proved for once they are ok
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 05:48:13 pm »
depends on your gsf. in sheffield they are nothing but fantastic.. can order on spec and take it back if you dont use it etc etc. Very helpful.  I've taken sh1t stuff back and no quibbles. The only think i didnt rate were front bearings - but they are £7 each so what did i expect!!

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: Re: gsf have proved for once they are ok
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 05:49:26 pm »
oh!  another thing W5DP0's  good for them too!

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
Re: Re: Re: Re: gsf have proved for once they are ok
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 07:49:41 pm »
As Pete says our local GSF in Sheffield are top! They never offers me crap parts now cos they know I dont want them, one of the lads in there called me anal the other week!

As for brakes yeah they are ok when as above. I've changed everything on mine now and they still have a crap pedal though, its either the valve on the vacumn pipe or the servo as thats all that hasnt been changed!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: gsf have proved for once they are ok
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 01:47:27 pm »
never had a problem with my local GSF in Swinton.  A lot of the times people moan about polo brakes they are using 15 year old fluid, crusty, perished flexi pipes and seized up rear drum mechanisms.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: gsf have proved for once they are ok
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 06:06:41 pm »
Yeah my brakes were much better after I'd renewed the brake drums, I was surprised how much of a difference it made having all new bits and pieces out back.

It's vital that you get rid of the standard brake hoses - having seen the condition mine were in it's terrifying thinking I used to drive my car with them in such a state. Assume they're knackered and replace if you haven't already.

Offline G-spot

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: gsf have proved for once they are ok
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 08:15:08 pm »
I get loads of help from GSF in Cardiff, I'd recommend them for helpfulness, though I can't always same the same for the quality of their products or more the fact that there suppliers list normal polo spec parts againt G40 and consiquently some bits have not been up to the job in particular the cam cover gasket!!,  buy from VW its worth 3 times the price when it lasts 10 times longer.  All that said they fixed me up with my brakes when I fitted non OE spec calipers/discs.

Only wish they had one in Bridgend!!!

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: gsf have proved for once they are ok
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 12:16:54 am »
I miss GSF in Cardiff. :(

Offline bushyg40

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: gsf have proved for once they are ok
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 12:06:28 pm »
there is a gsf in cardiff by the stadium

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Yeah, that's the one. But I moved to Peterborough last year, iso t's a bit of a long drive!

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
The GSF in Worthing (nr Brighton) is spot on. I have my inside man, so where i dont feel that OEM quality is necessary, i give him a shout and get a good price..! GSF are, what they are, out to supply affordable parts to the public and trade alike. The prices are near rock bottom on almost everything, so as expected the quality reflects this with some of the parts, although i have found that some are pretty good as well..Beggers cant be choosers!

As for the G brakes, i cant say that i had a great deal of experience with them, but i do know that as satndard they aren't that great, still mine probably needed a good servicing! One thing i can confirm is that they are miles better than the VWI (GT..etc) brakes which are the pinicle of pointless!!

Offline Max

• Members
Jez whos your inside man @ Worthing? Thats my local GSF, Josh that works there is  a mate of mine and gives me unbelievable deals most of the time, really top bloke knows his stuff.

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
[quote pid=2202 author=Max date=1215125298]Jez whos your inside man @ Worthing? Thats my local GSF, Josh that works there is  a mate of mine and gives me unbelievable deals most of the time, really top bloke knows his stuff.[/quote]

Ah ha you know the man himself,

I spoke to Steve a while back and he intorduced me too Josh. Since the first time i was down there he has given me awesome prices and semms like a really good and knowledgeable bloke. Spot on!! Just the kind of person you need to know when you are doing loads of private jobs on various VAG cars!! Like i said he's Spot on!!

P.S If you see Josh tell him that i still havent forgotten about the rear calipers i owe him on exchange. I should be down to see him soon.

Offline Max

• Members
Legend, if your down in the G40 give me a shout!