Author Topic: Best Choice for new fuel tank  (Read 7688 times)

Offline Dan

• Members
Best Choice for new fuel tank
« on: September 08, 2009, 08:50:53 pm »
Could do with your opinions of replacement fuel tanks. I'm either going to get one from fuel tanks direct or GSF, both are similarly priced. Just wandered what people think of either.

I once fitted two GSF tanks in one day. The first went on a lot easier than the second. I've only bought them from GSF before, so I'm interested to know what the others are like.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Best Choice for new fuel tank
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 10:14:15 pm »
mine's a fuel tanks direct one.  It's survived a few years now and still seems ok.  Although to fit it I did have to bend the filler neck slightly so it lined up right.  Also had to give it a good paint in anti-rust paint as I suspect the crap paint it comes finished in wouldn't last five mins.  In an ideal world I'd buy one from VW but you makes your choices and pays your money  ;D

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 10:10:48 am »
I think mine is from GSF and haven't had any problems nor none fitting it.

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 10:36:08 pm »
Ok, cheers.

Anyone else have good / bad experience of fitting either ? i'm probably gonna go for a GSF one and coat it properly before fitting. Unless VAG are a reasonable price, which I'm thinking they won't be.

Offline MartinB

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 06:29:31 pm »
Think VW wanted something stupid like £280 when I enquired a couple of years back now.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 08:05:31 pm »
Wherever you get it from make sure you paint it before it goes on Dan. First MOT my first G went through it needed a new tank and I just bought one and had it fitted. The next MOT it needed another new one.

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 09:29:09 pm »
Priced one up at VW, £222.22 + vat ! Looks like I'll be going GSF then.

Sam, I'm either going to re-paint it or get it powder coated (which is looking more favourable). I know the paint they use on the pattern tanks barely protects them.

Offline SpikeyG40

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 12:39:45 pm »
I fitted a GSF tank to an old 1 litre mk3 i had.  as above, had to bend the filler neck into a better position to get it in.   then it was really tight getting the supporting straps round the thing.  I was never happy with that tank, everytime i shut the boot after that, there was a vibrating/rattling noise.

I know the vw ones are expensive, but i would seriously consider it if/when i have to to one on my G40.

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 08:00:52 pm »
Decided to get a GSf one. Only because the few i fitted in the past have been ok. One or two needed adjusting, some didn't.

I just finished painting it today. Rubbed it down and coated it with black stone chip shield. I had a fair few coats so it should stay good for years to come. Fingers crossed for fitting.

Offline genesisGT

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 08:11:02 pm »
believe the GSF one is the best alternative to the vw one, but i would buy the genuine VW foam pads for the top they come with a diagram where to fit them etc and its under £3, so its nicely wedged in.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 08:13:04 pm by genesisGT »

Offline GSBellew

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 11:25:28 pm »
I used one from ebay.de, needed a little adjustment to get the filler neck sitting right.

I used seam sealer on the joint between the top and bottom and coated the whole tank with stonechip and satin black paint after getting all ocd and taking the the small dents out of it  ::)

I also fitted these, VW's "packing for fuel tank" which should prevent any annoying rattles as they sit between the tank and floor.

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 09:25:59 am »
Yes, I bought the packing repair kit. Didn't think it would come with a diagram, just opened it and it does like yours.

GSBellew, your underside looks like it's just been painted. Have you stripped it down and painted the underside?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 11:28:02 am »
wow that's a clean underside!

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 01:47:18 pm »
Yeah that is very tidy indeed.  8) If you're gonna do a job, might as well do it properly.
Got anymore pics?

Offline Max

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 02:01:24 pm »
breadman you have been quiet as of late, any progress on the car?