Author Topic: Hello!!!  (Read 2688 times)

Offline chrisj

• Members
Hello!!!
« on: June 02, 2008, 11:18:50 pm »
Hi all!! New to the club as im looking to buy a G40. Im hoping a few of you can help me look for a good example as ive no real knowledge about them.

The only vw ive ever owned was a 1976 mk1 golf 1.1 donated to me by my late grandfather, but ive been heavily involved with 205 gti's in the past years but always held vw close.

so looking to cross over to the 'dark side' as some pug nuts would say.

Im 23, and im from warwickshire. cars are a passion for me wether restoring or maintaining i'll always be found around something.

So does any body have any pointers to lookout for when viewing the G40? preferably looking for one in black/grey.

Any help much appreiciated.

Thanks
Chris

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Hello!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 09:18:59 am »
three colours were standard black, red and white - so these tend to be the more common. However I would say be openminded on the colour, I have had three corker g40s and blow me they have all been red (my most hated of colours) but I've learned to live with it!

They are pretty similar to other vws of the era - so watch out for rust (round windscreen, on sills, bottom of doors etc) most parts are similar to other polos of the era so are cheap enough.  The superchargers do need a service from approx 70k then every 30-40k on a normal pulley but less on a smaller pulley.

They aint that strong so the chassis legs can crack especially if they have had a decent bump - so watch out for that.

Sometimes you get what you pay for - so £1200 conversion seems cheap but may cost you more getting it how you want compared to say a £2500 standard car.