Author Topic: Club G40 Shop  (Read 8161 times)

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Club G40 Shop
« on: June 01, 2008, 07:50:56 pm »
Admin have been discussing the idea of a club g40 shop - where you can easily mail order a few bits n bobs that may either be awkward or annoying to go and get. This can be for your G or other vag cars

Suggestions include the following - but feel free to add to the list and we will try to source if possible

ptfe spray grease
PSD toothed pulley belts
charger internal timing belts
sticky belt dressing for v belts
g40 water pipe seal (etka lists wrong part - so this can be murder to get)
disc screw (always rounds and we can get them about 10-15p each)
rear cylinder allen bolt (these round easily)
petrol pipe clips for rear fuel filter/fuel pipe (vag ones you have to break off and normal jubilee clips can crush pipe)
made up brake pipes for the rear cylinders (these often round when doing rear cylinders)

we'd obviously charge minimum postage and you can paypal - so its easier. Hopefully this would be a service to the community and help raise club funds

what do people think?

pete
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 07:52:43 pm by peteg40 »

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
Re: Club G40 Shop
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 10:33:17 pm »
yup as said great idea, the fuel pipe ones are a good idea, various sizes etc, be easier to buy a kit with the right sizes...

Offline giorgio

• Members
Re: Re: Club G40 Shop
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 12:07:28 am »
Been working on a MG B recently and their owners club can get EVERYTHING. Literally ring up with a huge list and they arrive a few days later.

Its a good idea although it would mean carrying stock, which could ultimately backfire. Especially since we are only talking about 400 or so engine knocking about.

Most small parts like disc screws, etc [thanks for the reminder] probably aren't worth the hassle as the profit margin would be minimal.

And sorry to further piss on your bonfire but most non vag service parts [lube etc] you can get off the net fairly easily. You will do well to get the equivalent product landed on somebodies door for a similar price to make it worth their while.

Things that you cant buy in the shops would be better.

Say nut & bolt packs to replace certain sections of the car. Eg - every nut, bolt and washer needed to overhaul brakes . I have spent stupid money on things like that from the dealers

Try and provide parts [or resources] that are difficult to come by as an individual. Same sort of thing as VAG Driveshaft tool from GSF
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 12:09:25 am by giorgio »

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: Re: Re: Club G40 Shop
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 08:55:24 am »
The MG Owners club run is more of spare parts business though - they have massive premises!

Stuff like the PTFE spray grease is a good idea, would stop muppets using the wrong stuff - and it's a PITA to get individual cans, quantity orders only. Pre-made brake lines are another thing that I'd have bought (before making up my own!).

I see what Giorgio's saying about the little odds n sods - but if the club can get enough of a discount off the parts I don't see why it'd be a bad idea.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Re: Re: Re: Club G40 Shop
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 09:38:56 am »
well stuff like PTFE - people DO use the wrong stuff or find it hard to sort me and sam had to buy 12 cans - similarly to the psd toothed belts etc.  And the internal charger belt - well people shoudl really replace yearly but no-one really does as they aren't the easiest to get, especially after psd has gone down.

As for disc screws etc - its just an arse ordering from VW and paying £1, driving there etc when we'd be able to do them for about 5p or something - its not really about profit for these little bits, its more about the club mentality, its not like most of these things cost a bomb, just are usually awkward to sort. Its not like a huuuuge amount of stock - maybe a couple of hundred quid at the most.

anything else people would like to see added???

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Club G40 Shop
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 11:55:04 am »
anything charger related would be good, a charger off replacement kit, like the big bolt it pivots on, and the bottom securing one, mine was full of crap and shit and was hard to get in, and the 13mm bolts on the outlet pipe, and the ones on the charger to bracket, with a note which one is longer, i always forget...

Offline wozzaG40

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Club G40 Shop
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 12:22:05 pm »
Could possibly do a service package, always a bitch to get hold of the platinum spark plugs tried GSF the other day an they have to order them in as usual an they come to around £34 plus vat. i know its nothing ur everyday Jo bloggs cant get but if you did it all at a cheaper rate it might get people interested.

Just knowing that when i order parts they are going to turn up an for once be the right parts would be nice lol

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Club G40 Shop
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 12:24:35 pm »
Service package seems like a good idea.

Plus the lader banjo bolts, possibly lader oil lines too. More importantly though, those little copper sealing washers that you always lose!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Club G40 Shop
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 12:31:30 pm »
copper charger washers is definately a good idea as is stocking a few banjo bolts. Not sure on plugs, i never really had an issue with em - and its expensive to have them on the shelf to be honest.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Club G40 Shop
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 12:40:55 pm »
oh - front caliper bleed nipples too!!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Club G40 Shop
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 04:54:00 pm »
I've never struggled to get plugs at GSF, even if they don't have them right in they get them in the next day or so.  I'd be amazed if we could get them cheaper than GSF too!

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Club G40 Shop
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 05:28:48 pm »
Not just caliper bleed nipples, but the dust jackets that go on them too. Another thing that's dirt cheap at the factors, but you spend 5 times their value in fuel getting them...

What happened to the G40 DVDs? Have still got an old tax disc holder too - they were quite good. I guess there's other stuff that Dan already does too, like the BBS wheel stickers, INTERCOOLED stickers, dial kits etc.

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Club G40 Shop
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 05:57:53 pm »
yeah stuff like that will go on, and profit will be Club G40's not all my own, will do them at trade to the club...

The G40 dvds i stopped doing just as i had a few people complain about the quality, as we all know we were lucky to find the vhs to copy from, even tho it stated "VHS recording" personally i didnt think it was bad at all, ive watched it a hell of alot

i wouldnt mind getting hold of all the rounds etc

Pete is good at finding stuff like that :D

Offline giorgio

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Club G40 Shop
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 09:02:38 pm »
Club G40 hoody is needed.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Club G40 Shop
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 09:39:54 pm »
The MG Owners Club is a bit more than just an owners club - they're going to have an MG franchise and sell cars when Nanjing and SAIC get their acts in gear and start importing again.

I think this is a great idea, especially since we don't have PSD any more and some parts are in decline at the stealers.