Author Topic: Quality Engineered Products (QEP - Cat Cams)  (Read 17409 times)

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
Quality Engineered Products (QEP - Cat Cams)
« on: August 19, 2009, 12:21:50 am »
Ordered a Cat Cams adjustable pulley for the G from QEP. Turned up really quickly and was very happy untill i opened it and saw an empty hole in the back of the pulley where the locator pin (woodruff) should be. Phoned them up and they siad that the work experence boy was packign the cams in Belgium and forgoten to pack the pins. Not the end of the world so they siad they would send me out one. Cool. Two weeks went past and nothing so i rang again. The postman ate it. Said they would send another next day. One week went past. Nothing. Rang again. Post man must have ate another. Send one out next day. Another week went past. Still nothing.

I see a friend of mine, mentions he is collecting his head from QEP - i mnetion the problem i have had - he says he will ring them before he goes and get them to have one ready - they tell him they will machine one up - he collects his head and my machined pin - completely wrong size and shape - USELESS!!!!!!!!!

I have given up with them now - going to make my own.

Just thought i would share my hassels... I have been very understanding and patient with them, not rude at all and happy to wait and still they just havent seemed to bother. Great product all in all just a shame to have someone distributing it that either doesnt care or is just really bad at organising the rectification of a problem as small as mine!

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
Re: Quality Engineered Products (QEP - Cat Cams)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 01:44:31 am »
Any pics? I have a Catcams pulley still in a box from when i ordered it last year. I remember seeing a funny shaped woodruff, not thought anything till i read this post.

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 10:08:42 am »
On my way to work but ill post up a pic later this afternoon. Its just an empty round hole on the back of the pulley and the machined bit they have given me is way to small. I'll get a pic up....

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 01:14:31 am »
heres a link to the pic of the back of the pulley.

As you can see there is just an empty hole where the pin should sit...

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 08:29:53 am by PeteG40 »

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 11:07:12 am »
Mine does have a round silver pin/key in there.

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 11:40:06 am »
Mine does have a round silver pin/key in there.

Dont suppose you want to give it too me do you Nick?  ;D

Dont suppose you got a pic to hand?

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 07:02:05 pm »
Photo will be no problem ;D

I reckon a machine shop could easily knock you a pin up if you get no joy from your supplier.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 07:03:41 pm by Nick_S »

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 09:24:14 am »
Given up with QEP they are a complete nightmare and i am not wasting money on phoning over the water. I can make a pin for nothing just need to borrow a tough bit of metal and a lathe from the local garage. Just wondered how the pins looked as standard...

cheers

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 07:09:03 pm »
You could get a machine shop to make some out of silver steel dowel, that would be best. Infact if you give me the outside diameter and length I can get one knocked up. I would need measuring with a high quality vernier or micrometer for the O/D to be a good fit in your pulley.

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 06:51:24 pm »
i fitted mine without as you dont need one, most modern cars no longer use a woodruff key.
the key your talkin about nick is it a long thin one with a ring at one end? that fits in the holes for timing it up.

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 09:34:29 pm »
Here is the key fitted in mine

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 11:19:55 pm »
The notch on the cam is square, but i assume the diameter of the round dowell is the same. Its not that important to have a tight fit there anyway just needs to stay insitu, as it only acts as a locator.

Lance seems to have fitted one OK below

« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 11:25:44 pm by Nick_S »

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 11:40:59 am »
Thanks for the replies guys.

Nick thanks for the effort to get the photos up.

I am aware that newer cars dont always have these pins but i dont not like the idea of this at all. I would rather have something there over nothing to be on the safe side.

The pin in your one nick looks to be the same as the pin QEP have machined up for me so maybe they arent so bad after all. I perosnally just dont like the idea of not having a good fit on the pin but i suppose im just being a bit overkill. I'll probably make one up to fit better though. Wont be hard at all.

Thanks again guys

Jez

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 07:25:44 pm »
yea i just fit mine and made my own mark. its on now so not taking it back off lol ;D

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 06:16:42 pm »
Just an Update on QEP - They are absolutely awefull!

My mate, Dan, has an unbeliveable story of how much of a bunch of muppets they are - its incredible!! Cant be bothered to explain but basically....

DO NOT USE QEP!!

I will certainly never ever recommend/use them again after the unbelievable shit they have caused my mate and also the hassels i had with them.

I cant imagaine they will last long if they continue the way they are!!!!