Author Topic: Ever thought of a more sensible newer car?  (Read 8300 times)

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Ever thought of a more sensible newer car?
« on: August 18, 2009, 03:02:53 pm »
I find myself thinking about getting an Ibiza cupra (01 plate ish) or a Lupo Gti or was quite taken by Yoofs renault clio.

i'd have more time, more money, a better relationship!! a cleaner house etc.   Maybe its time to grow up?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Ever thought of a more sensible newer car?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 03:08:05 pm »
boooooooooooo!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 03:14:12 pm »
I'd not have a chavvy anything - but something nice and stock. Its the stock cars at shows I like and its not as if i even bloomin drive anywhere these days!.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 03:15:13 pm »
Yep, but I bought the most practical motor I could afford and kept the Polo for when I want some fun.

The Passat is awesome for avoiding the low points of G40 ownership, but it never raises a pulse. Great for long distances and hauling my stuff around, and doing epic mileage on sod all fuel without needing a service every 5,000 miles, which is what I need it for.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 03:16:52 pm »
I have a practical motor for everyday use with a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGe lump and effortless in traffic.  Called a train. Getting to work take 5 less minutes a day, and costs £10 less a month.  Set up costs were £30 for a brolly and waterproof though!

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 03:25:35 pm »
I bought lots of new sensible cars since my first G40 ..... and then sold them all and bought another G40!

Went through a Mini Cooper S, BMW Z4 and Smart car then finally back to the G.

Sometimes it's nice to have a new car but it's never quite the same.  For a start they don't have that Volkswagen/G40 smell!

I guess the ideal would be to have both?  I also did that and ended up driving the G40 more than the new car.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 05:05:06 pm »
That's why I bought my Saab Pete - it looks boring, handles like a turd, but eats miles with ease has all the toys and goes alright too. I couldn't be arsed with driving a G40 daily now - not when I might need to cart around work colleagues, or spend hours on a motorway going to and from customers' sites. It's also bloody handy for DIY shopping, could probably fit a Polo in the boot.

If I only ever used the train for work though, then I wouldn't be so bothered about having a more 'normal' car instead of a G40. If your bird wants a sensible car get her to buy one! ;)

Offline Weeman

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 05:07:15 pm »
I'm after a bora tdi as a sensible car that I can drive everyday, but no way would I sell the G to get one. I'm just making my G the week night an wekend car :)

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 05:14:31 pm »
I think getting a second car is a good idea but it totally depends on your lifestyle.  I use mine daily to and from work but then I don't hit any traffic on the twenty minute journey so its not a problem.  If I lived down south where the traffic is considerably more so I dont think I could manage it as a daily and if I did stupid miles for work I'd need a cruiser too, like what Alex has done.  Great cars as a daily if your travelling locally and not in trafiic, otherwise they'd be a pig of a car...

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 05:37:04 pm »
my everyday car is now my G, to start with it wasn't the most reliable daily use car as it saw the back of a recovery truck on more than one occasion. tho now it seems to be very reliable and i don't think i would ever part with it. my other car is a mercedes C230 kompressor which i've owned for about 6 or 7 years and was probably the most reliable car ever made (tho you'd expect that from a new car) last year my afr meter packed in and i just thought bollocks, and took it off the road. luckily my G had just been tested so i've ran that since. still going strong  :)

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 05:48:20 pm »
doesnt that say something that youd rather drive a polo shit box than a mercedes kompressor ha ha

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 07:02:58 pm »
it's why I have my passat tdi too, no way would I want to drive my polo every day doing a 40 mile round trip to work and back.  public transport isn't an option, it'd turn a 25-30min drive into an epic 2.5 hour journey!

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 07:32:31 pm »
My "more sensible" effort's a Skoda estate. A 1.9tdi with the poor man's quattro drive train. It's a slug but carries everything in comfort, quiet and at 45mpg. It's also a fucking hoot on twisty roads and lets you embarrass what should be much more capable machinery. Still can't wait to get back in the G though.

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 10:16:47 pm »
doesnt that say something that youd rather drive a polo shit box than a mercedes kompressor ha ha
[/quote

lol, suppose so, just miss the very comfortable ride and space  ;)

Offline SteG40

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 10:22:18 pm »
I bought a Golf R32 as a more sensible car, seemed like a good idea at the time but I've decieded it's not that sensible really costs too much to run but it's worth it