Author Topic: "Interesting" G40 on eBay...  (Read 12847 times)

Offline cameronrb

• Members
Re: "Interesting" G40 on eBay...
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 11:35:41 am »
And this was my reply...

Hi Dan
Thanks for your interest, we're selling this car as seen, it is an original G40 and there are no other bits with it. As for damage you'd have to come and look at it yourself if you can't don't bid. Personally to me all old Polos of this age are all shit original or not, they have shit brakes and they look crap. I sold them when new, there's no such thing as a decent G40, they were shit then and they're shit now.
Regards
Cameron

A tongue in cheek reply using the same language as I felt it was pretty rude sending me emails telling me the car I'm selling looks 'shite'. I didn't realise until somebody told me that it actually came from a member of Club G40.
It is an original G40, it has been taken apart and put back together again by Volkswagen technicians, I'm happy to give the details of the technician who blueprinted it and I'm not a crook. I worked for Volkswagen for many years during the 90's and had one of the first ever G40's on UK roads. Despite the reply above I've always had a soft spot for the G40 and I've kept the other black car that was in the same competition.
I've had more people email and say how much they like it as they don't like it. I personally don't like it but as we all know beauty I is in the eye of the beholder.
Cameron Brown

Offline DMWG40

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 11:47:09 am »
I do think the first email was a bit OTT and should have been more of a do you still have the standard/original parts for the car,

Offline cameronrb

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 11:52:33 am »
thankyou yes, for all he knew it could be my pride and joy!

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 12:15:16 pm »
but its still a shit advert and a shit car.

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 12:20:09 pm »
but admitantly spaniels ebay message was a bit out of order lol

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 12:21:39 pm »
the car is what it is, didn't really see the need in sending the seller a message informing him of opinions of it.  don't like it, don't buy it.  Personally I hate the modifications that have been done to it but it could be a nice car underneath the crap.  And if it's had an engine refresh and what not could be a good buy.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2009, 12:25:09 pm »
but most people think all g40's look sh1t anyway.  a 15 yr old granny mobile.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2009, 12:29:25 pm »
they are shit really apart from the engine.  plenty of us on here spend a lot of money on chassis modifications that just wouldn't be needed if we'd just done the sensible thing and bought a better car.

Offline Varley

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2009, 01:06:06 pm »
they are shit really apart from the engine.  plenty of us on here spend a lot of money on chassis modifications that just wouldn't be needed if we'd just done the sensible thing and bought a better car.

Oi! I get enough of that from the blokes at work! lol

Totally true like but still...

Offline neil_dubgt

• Members
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2009, 01:09:15 pm »
surely its worth it when you can out do a 40k rep mobile lol

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2009, 01:34:30 pm »
surely its worth it when you can out do a 40k rep mobile lol

but a £7k small engined new hatchback would probably get round a track faster, better brakes and better handling. 

I don't know why I'm making this argument though since I'm one of the people who has spent a lot of money trying to make a g40 handle well, I like to think it's reasonably good now!

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2009, 03:24:38 pm »
I dont think its an out of order email at all.  I would seriously consider purchasing the car for the engine alone if its cheap enough.  My requests for orignal parts are perfectly normal though and would make the purchase even more appealing. For someone like me i'd rather have the original bits back in order for me to consider buying it.  Maybe my email was a bit to the point but i dont think i was particuarly harsh.  I could of messaged him and put how i thought it was shite..and just that be it, but i had some totally reasonable questions albeit put bluntly.  I would consider the car genuinely but i'd need to know what it comes with as it doesnt come with anything to put it back to anywhere near original, thats a big let down for me.

Offline cheddarcheese

• Members
  • i like boobs!
    • supercharged
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2009, 05:53:49 pm »
I think this G has never been blueprinted!!! Blueprinting is not cheap, costing a couple thousand pounds when you bring in the engine. It takes lots of time. and every part is perfect or made perfect witch with a £1500 budget would never be possible when £1100 was spent on the car alone!

also when blueprinting an engine you would have a few spare engines to build the best possible! and if you don't have this then every new part would have to be perfectly made or made perfect.

all ballshit!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 05:57:08 pm by cheddarcheese »

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2009, 08:24:31 pm »
 You're right. Even with un-limited access to VW parts bins it would probably set them back a couple of grand and a lot of time/patience and expertise. Not what you'd do for a minor one off event.   A bit of a porkie?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2009, 12:49:48 pm »
I guess they might have had the work done for free since it was  vw dealership who built it.  But it's probably just someone's different interpretation of the word blueprinting.