Author Topic: Trackday Polo Chassis Thoughts...  (Read 2609 times)

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
Trackday Polo Chassis Thoughts...
« on: August 02, 2009, 07:02:10 am »
Just pondering chassis tweeks... for a track car im planning (with a budget - shocking i know!  :o :D)  Possibly one for Yoof, Mathers etc...

Rear Axle...

Adjustable rear ARB with drop links on Nick Wilson's Hillclimb Polo...below  

prevents rear axle twist afaik ????
http://More a question really of do we think it is a necessity or overkill for the Polo.  I like the idea of the bottom one... this was an idea proposed on my old black car on its to-do list, with additional diagonal bracing (like HEG123's rally car).

Also
Mk1 Golf hubs, lupo uprights. wishbone and box frame setup (not AWT obviously - been there before with that one)

Worth doing for future tweeking scope or again is a PPP frame and polo hub KW V2's enough?

Can do either or... wouldn't be too difficult to do the mk1 setup (got someone who can do it for me, for not much cost), again more a question of is it worth doing or overkill?  Im going wide track anyway (adjustable bottom arms, adj caster aswell), Wheels 15*8s on front, 15*7s on rear...  depending on Toyo 888 tyre costs for 225/50s, if ridiculous i'll stay 7" all round.

Also... anyone making uprated engine mounts for the Mk3 yet (since ive been out of the loop for a while), or is it still a question of being in the right place at the right time for some ex cup car ones?

Reason for thinking outside the box is because of the experience gained running Boakes' cup car in the VW Cup and TRC Championship finding the limit of the standard chassis that put us at a disadvantage to the rest of the field.

Running probably 350-400lbs front, 450-500lbs rear spring rates.  I'll experiment.  I prefer a stiff rear end (Pun?), slightly slippy.  Got my cage and additional bracing already planned so not worried on that front, etc.  Oh and knock up a rear diffuser and flat floor in ally while im there.  Always wanted to do it, so why not.

you know me, I never do it the simple way, lol.  Any thoughts on ideas etc gratefully received, or talking crap etc ;D.  Looking at starting a build soon, plan on having my setup planned 100percent so no deviation that way.   ::)

Cheers.,
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 07:18:58 am by hardchargin40 »

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: Trackday Polo Chassis Thoughts...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 08:04:49 pm »
Our (Polo-PP) Stage 3 frames are definitely a worthy addition - as is a diff.

We've got a few rear axles to do some experimenting with, will report as and when we get something on our cars to try out.