Author Topic: gauges - expected high and low readings?  (Read 3673 times)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
gauges - expected high and low readings?
« on: July 31, 2009, 08:29:15 pm »
My Stack gauges are in! And, bar the oil pressure gauge (due to a problem with the t-piece - I snapped the thread off) they're all wired up.

These let me have high and low level warnings indicated by a colour change. So, for example, on the oil temp gauge I've got it so it's blue when you first start up, it changes to green for normal running and turns red when it's boiling hot.

To help me set this up, what are the acceptable ranges for the following -

- Voltage (I've got this set at between 11 and 14 volts)
- Oil temperature (currently set between 80 and 100 degrees)
- Oil pressure (not tampered with yet, as the gauge is unplugged)

I'm also really concerned about how low the temperature sender is. I've mounted it in a threaded sump plug, and it's angled forward and down which seems very vulnerable. Not something I want to clout on a speed bump. Is there any easy way to protect it?

Thanks! :)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Re: gauges - expected high and low readings?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 12:49:09 pm »
Bit of an old thread but alex, the temps you set the oil temp gauge did they work ok Or did you find a better temp to set them at?

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 01:08:43 am »
Believe it or not the oil temp gauge has been wired in for about a month of the three years I've had it. I moved the sender out of the sump plug ages ago, concerned that it'd get ripped off, and I've only just got it working again.

I'll let you know after I've driven it, I'd forgotten it was plugged in again when I drove it back last week so wasn't watching it.

I know before it was reading low.

Offline gaz g40

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 09:40:55 am »
Where have you put the gauge into then alex?

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 10:01:24 am »
It's teed into the pressure swith at the back of the head.

Oil pressure is on one, temp on the other.

I know you'll get a more accurate reading from the sump, but one of those square speed bumps would've ripped it out. Seemed like a daft place to have it, I was shitting myself driving across the E38 campsite in 2009, took it off the week afterwards, moved the wiring up near the injectors but didn't get around to plugging it in again until recently.