Author Topic: whats the difference?  (Read 3318 times)

Offline sinister polo

• Members
  • drive it like u stole it
whats the difference?
« on: July 11, 2009, 01:08:48 am »
between standard polo lower arms and g40 specific ones?
im guessing they are obviously stronger,  what are the advantages of going fully rose jointed,
the way a g40 should be! and what parts would i need to to make the front end the same as a g40?

i have a cl to g40 conversion and had the lower arms replaced a few weeks before i did the conversion,
my question is will these last or will they just bend under the strain from a more powerful setup?

cheers  daryl

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
Re: whats the difference?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 09:15:59 am »
G40 arms are exactly the same as normal Polo ones - rather spindly looking affairs and no stronger. However, the G40 arms have a rose joint where they attatch to the body as opposed to the normal rubber bush.
The G40 specific arms are only available through VW and are very expensive. Unless you are worried about orignality, I'd just replace the bushes with poly ones.
The G40 steering arms are also rose jointed at the steering rack end. Again these are VW only and very expensive. I'm gonna make a set of poly bushes to fit here as I don't think you can buy them off the shelf.
Personally I would check all of the bushes on the car and replace them with poly ones.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 09:29:19 am by breadman »

Offline sinister polo

• Members
  • drive it like u stole it
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 12:28:01 pm »
cheers for the help mate, think il get some powerflex bushes then!

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 12:43:43 pm »
Powerflex are good, but check out Superflex bushes. They have a comprehensive website and are the same (apart from the colour) but cheaper than Powerflex.  
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 12:45:52 pm by breadman »

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 03:27:38 pm »
never been happy with my poly power flex one's, looking forward to going back to G40 OE spec when the time come's.

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 08:09:53 pm »
Any chance of being more specific on as to why your not happy G-Spot.

May learn some of us something we didn`t know.

Fred.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 08:52:39 pm »
never had any issues with my powerflex ones, the ones that are on the car now have been on there for five years.  Whenever I have to take them off for whatever reason, I put some more copper grease on the outside of them to keep them lubed up.

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 10:28:10 pm »
I don't feel the geometery is as well maintained with the power flex ones.  Whenever I look under the car when its jacked up they always seem to be squeezed up, which would suggest they do the same under hard corner loading or compression.
Least with the rose jointed spec the pivot line to which the suspension moves around is always the in the same spot. 
Don't get me wrong the power flex or similar are bound to be better than the standard Polo one's but I do feel the G40 spec one's were installed by VW to overcome an already far to dynamic front track control arm, but if your running lower stiffer suspension and lower profile tires etc then the need for the rose jointed set-up is probably less desirable and the polybush type offer a better daily road experience.
Personnally I just feel since replacing mine that they've never quite been as good as the OEM ones.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 10:46:19 pm »
yeah they're not as ideal as the spherical bearings in the inners, the outers are normally only rubber bushes though.