Author Topic: Ebay flooded with G40s...  (Read 5419 times)

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
Re: Ebay flooded with G40s...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 05:19:11 pm »
that blue one looks a fantastic restoration project, id say is the best one for the money on there...

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Re: Re: Ebay flooded with G40s...
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 05:55:28 pm »
I reckon fuel prices have a lot to do with this. If I weren't getting press cars I would've had to get rid of mine at the end of last year. They're cut price pocket rockets, when you start making stuff expensive they get a little bit less attractive to own.

Offline timboukvw

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Ebay flooded with G40s...
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 06:09:44 pm »
[quote pid=1361 author=Alex date=1210870528]I reckon fuel prices have a lot to do with this. If I weren't getting press cars I would've had to get rid of mine at the end of last year. They're cut price pocket rockets, when you start making stuff expensive they get a little bit less attractive to own.[/quote]

What is the MPG of a g40 then roughly

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ebay flooded with G40s...
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 06:37:28 pm »
It depends how you drive them. Fifth gear is pretty long, so if you're cruising along the motorway and being good you can get pretty decent fuel economy. Start ranting about the place with your foot to the floor and it's not difficult to knock that down quite a bit.

For example, mine usually gets 32-34mpg on a mixed run of motorways and town driving. That's using the same fuel pump each time and filling to the brim.

On the way to the Ring in April I got about 38mpg with one passenger and luggage. That was cruising through Belgium and barely touching the throttle because the roads were near empty. Actually, that's with an 8P box too, I reckon I'd be able to get 40mpg with the G40 box.

Going around RAF Alconbury (see pic) in March I got low twenties, but that was a lead footed, tyre smoking session of hard driving.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 06:38:16 pm by Alex »

Offline bushyg40

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ebay flooded with G40s...
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 07:20:42 pm »
white 1 has been rolling roaded and is still at 131 bhp ???

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ebay flooded with G40s...
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 07:29:42 pm »
a lot of it is to do with the fact they are so cheap to buy and getting old.  It probably costs more to maintain them for 12 months than they cost to buy now, a lot of people who can't afford this buy them thinking they'll have a bargain basement fast car and then get rid of it when they see how much need to spend on them.

Offline giorgio

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ebay flooded with G40s...
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 09:03:48 pm »
[quote pid=1365 author=hayesey date=1210876182]a lot of it is to do with the fact they are so cheap to buy and getting old.  It probably costs more to maintain them for 12 months than they cost to buy now, a lot of people who can't afford this buy them thinking they'll have a bargain basement fast car and then get rid of it when they see how much need to spend on them.[/quote]

thats the crux of it. And even worse is that nobody is willing shell out to rebuild a 150k engine so they are getting run to the ground :scyth:

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ebay flooded with G40s...
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 01:10:42 am »
the white ones listing is damn awful, 131bhp from a standard car by looks of it, how does that work?

"ECU HAS BEEN REBUILT - explain that, solder and why
DISTRIBUTOR HAS BEEN REBUILT - rebuilt, new sender or what?
ALL BRAKE HOSES HAVE BEEN REPLACED - fair enough, replaced when tho?, as i should hope they have been at some point
V BELTS HAVE BEEN REPLACED AND AN ENGINE TUNE AND SET UP HAS BEEN CARRIED OUT - i love when people use the word "tune" so loosely, how do you "tune" a G40?
A NEW STARTER MOTOR AND BATTERIE HAS BEEN FITTED - fair enough nothing to comment lol
A FULL NEW EXHAUST SYSTEM HAS BEEN FITTED - make of exhaust?
A MK2 GTI 35-40MM SPRINGS - nope no idea what he is saying here
COBRA BUCKET SEATS AND SPARCO HARNESSES FITTED - why not just put "I HAVE DRIVEN THIS CAR LIKE A GO KART"

and to finish off

"YOU FEEL MORE SAFER WITH THE BUCKET SEATS." well shit yeah where do i pay????
Does having a pink air freshner make me feel more femanine too?

The lack of scuttle cover worries me aswell, im hoping it was like that just for picture...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 01:11:22 am by DKnight »

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ebay flooded with G40s...
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 04:44:19 pm »
What does anyone make of the Green one on ebay?

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ebay flooded with G40s...
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 02:33:21 am »
poor listing and no engine bay picture, incredible that people can list items like this, inspection best, im sure i recognise that car, club polo member was selling it about a year or so ago?

nothing to go off really with the listing, think it has a gay sunroof aswell...

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ebay flooded with G40s...
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 09:56:38 pm »
theres not as many on there as there was say 2 weeks ago. The '91 coupe up for sale has a better listing than the '93 (both blue) but neither of them are that good to be true. So it has the bits on it they've listed. No idea of makes, when it was done etc etc. Some people really need help when selling cars!