Author Topic: Hail damage repair  (Read 2368 times)

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Hail damage repair
« on: June 24, 2009, 08:28:21 am »
Yesterday, it was thowing hail, at the size of a ping-pong ball so the bonnet and the roof has been damaged with holes...
Is there any tool (like a sucker) that pulls out the metal and straights it again without destroying the paint?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Hail damage repair
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 09:24:05 am »
well yes you can get dent pullers that are like suckers:

http://www.gadgetgrid.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/dent-puller.jpg

but they're only any good for large dents, if the hail stones have made smallish dents then I doubt it'd work.  You'd need to remove the headlining and tap them out from the inside.

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 11:10:35 am »
Those suckers are available in various sizes but as Hayesay says, you`d probably be better off from the underside and its poss with a bit of thumb pressure to run your thumb past the dent working in a side to side motion.

Start at side of dent and go over it then go back to start and move further into the dent slightly and repeat.
Always go in same direction from start and don`t try to push it straight up in the middle as you will probably stretch the metal too much in one spot making for a shite finish that will be hard to rectify.

Patience will be your Virtue.
Hears a little description i did in paint(lol)

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 11:21:06 am »
Ps, The last time those Hail stones happened round here i was 19 so almost 26 years ago and i was a plumber at the time and our Renault van was peppered with them and thousands of other cars.

They made the shell look like the surface of a Golf ball.
They was that size as well.
Freaky really and my boss had one smash down his forehead gashing his face as they landed at our feet he looked up in amazement.
In other country`s they have been known to reach tennis ball size.
Imagine taking delivery of your say New MK6 Pirelli edition Golf GTI and just before your about to go for a spin those came down.

Fred.

Offline SuperMario

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 08:36:38 pm »
www.marcthedentman.com  or .co.uk?

He comes to work to remove such dents, also i belive hes been abroad doing hail damage to new cars, give him a buzz, if he doesnt cover your area someone will do it near you.