Author Topic: plastic/polycarb windows  (Read 8998 times)

Offline antoni

• Members
plastic/polycarb windows
« on: June 21, 2009, 07:50:53 pm »
Anyone running these? currently building a trackday/quarter mile car and need to dump weight

I know I need 4mm, but not sure on removing the seals on the back 3 windows, can anyone help ?

Ant

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: plastic/polycarb windows
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 08:05:57 pm »
I do.  can see them in this pic:

I just bought polycarb sheet off ebay and made them myself.  Rears are just held in the stock seals just like the glass.  Fronts are bolted to the lip on the top of the door with rubber strip glued over to look a bit neater.  I've not done the boot window but will do at some point.  At the moment I need to lose some weight at the front end rather than more at the rear.

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 09:53:58 pm »
fibre glass bonnet then haysey...

how much did you give for the material and also is it anything special (flexiglass type thing) or just standard stuff?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 10:14:16 pm »
yeah fibreglass bonnet, moving battery to boot etc...

the material is polycarbonate.  Although to be honest, the rear windows are made from nylon or something like that but they are pretty crap, scratch too easily.  Polycarbonate is what you want it doesn't go yellow with age and is more scratch resistant.

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 09:11:36 am »
Yeah it seems that some materials are miles better than others. I just wondered whether there was a cheaper solution to buying the expensive stuff. I'll have a look into it when the time comes!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 09:26:10 am »
the polycarbonate I bought off ebay was pretty cheap, miles cheaper than anywhere else I tried.  Can't remember the sellers name though as it was too long ago.  Just search for polycarbonate sheet on there.  I told the guy what size pieces I wanted and he cut them to size before sending them.

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 10:37:48 pm »
i got a set for sale of polycarb windows with sliders on front ones

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 09:31:33 am »
just side windows or do you have the rear one too?

Offline Max

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 09:34:04 am »
Is the rear screen bonded on?  I have a rear screen that I want to fit soon.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 10:36:55 am »
yes it's bonded in

Offline antoni

• Members
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 09:35:21 pm »
cheers guys, will crack on with making some up.↲

Same boat as hayesey though, need to loose weight upfront, heaters, dash and wiring loom have been removed and f/g panels are a hatred for me

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 08:57:46 am »
Plastics4Performance should still have my templates for 4mm windows, inc sliders to fit windows without the rubbers surrounds, if its any help.

If your losing your heaters btw, have a think about demisting options... mine was bad for it and looked at a little 12v heater to pipe some warm air onto the front windscreen.

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 03:23:31 pm »
RainEX/anti fog spray is pretty good. I ran my E30 through a winder with no heater just by shoving that stuff on the inide.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 03:26:35 pm »
I'll have to give that stuff a try, mine is a bugger for steaming up inside when it's cold and/or rainy outside, even with the heater.  Another thing to mention is that when it's sunny outside it gets a bit like a greenhouse in there and the sliders don't offer much ventilation really, although I really should get round to putting one in the passenger side too.  So I use the blower on cold just to keep cool in there too.

Offline antoni

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 09:46:38 pm »
Plastics4Performance should still have my templates for 4mm windows, inc sliders to fit windows without the rubbers surrounds, if its any help.

If your losing your heaters btw, have a think about demisting options... mine was bad for it and looked at a little 12v heater to pipe some warm air onto the front windscreen.

How much did they charge for the fronts?

I am going to have to custom make the rears as I have a square back and not the conventional coupe like most g40's

Currently using some stuff I got from a motorbike shop that they treat the visors on helmets with to stop any misting and it works perfectly, smells a tad like wd40 and came in a little bottle

Ant