Author Topic: Proper brakes: Some you win, some you lose...  (Read 3463 times)

Offline Varley

• Members
Proper brakes: Some you win, some you lose...
« on: June 12, 2009, 11:47:03 am »
Gents,

I got some 6x14 Compomotive ML's made up recently and took the calculated gamble (based on the info I had) that my 256mm brake setup would fit behind them  - how wrong I was... D'oh!

Seems like machining the caliper and/or carrier is not an oprttion either so need a proper alternative but can't bring myself to put the original brakes back on just seems like a step in the wrong direction, so what do people see as being my options?

I'm thinking the only way to fit the wheels and not lose braking performance is to buy some 4 pot calipers (Wilwood I'd imagine) and get some custom carriers made up to run 239mm disks? Going to be a total ball ache and prob cost me a fair pile of coin but what else can I do? I'm not going back to 15's...

Any suggestions welcome but no need to point out that I'm an idiot for not having done the proper checks, i'm well aware of that!

Cheers.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Proper brakes: Some you win, some you lose...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 11:53:14 am »
I have some hi-specs 4 pots which have had the carriers modified to use 239mm discs.  The calipers probably need a service but these kits are £20 a side from hi-spec if i remember correctly.  Never used them as for 13s you need a lot of space behind the week (or big spacers).  It may cook the disc too as it'll get pretty hot tbh.

other option is to look at spacing for more clearance?

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 12:02:51 pm »
My 14" BBS RJ fit over the Wilwood 256mm kit but the edge of the caliper catches on the inside of the spokes so a spacer is needed. However I assume that your problem is in the 'rolling radius' of the caliper not the offset if you know what i mean?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 12:07:05 pm »
I'#m surprised that the 14" compomotives dont fit over 256mm brakes!  Where does it foul?  Wuold some spacers help?

I have Wilwoods on mine with 256mm discs and I have to use spacers to fit either my 14" ronal wheels and even my 15" Compomotive MOs.  Otherwise the middle of the wheel fouls the caliper as even though they are light, they are pretty bulky:

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 12:19:56 pm »
MLs are minilite types tho - so dont have the space of such as an MO

Offline Varley

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 01:01:24 pm »
Cheers for the quick replies guys,

I reckon they will clear with spacers, or a combination of spacers and machining down the carrier and maybe the caliper itself - but that's only a maybe...

Kind of defeats the object of getting wheel made up in the correct offset though, so keen to avoid that if I possibly can.

I was surprised they won't clear too, I was just working on the basis of the fact they fit behind 14" ra's and MO's but as pete says there appears to be less room with the ML's.

If the Wilwoods won't clear 15" MO's from a caliper depth pov I may as well discount that immediately from 'solutions that don't involve spacers'

What do you reckon with the Hi specs with 239's then Pete, is there any chance they'll go without spacers? Worth a gamble? How did you modify the carriers?

Cheers again!

Offline Max

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 01:10:40 pm »
I reckon try spacers first mate.

I have got a few 3mm and 5mm ones lying about if you want them.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 01:51:49 pm »
they were milled down.

no idea if they'd fit either without spacers!

Offline Varley

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 02:12:38 pm »
Fair, reckon it's probably sensible to give my existing brakes every chance so will try a combination of spacers and machining the caliper/carrier to see if that'll make it 'ave it!

Failing that I'll explore the alternatives further.

Cheers for the advice guys, much appreciated, will keep you posted on developments.

Max: pm'd.