Author Topic: Newbie G40  (Read 8491 times)

Offline G40_FUNK

• Members
  • Chris
Newbie G40
« on: March 05, 2008, 07:55:28 pm »
Hi Folks

I've just 'won' a G40 that was advertised on ebay.  It's a royal blue model, high miles 140k, debadged and detrimmed, unfortunately, but as it only cost 1200 quid i'm quite happy.  It's my 1st polo, although i've always wanted a G40 since the early 90s. May i just say this site is Superb and very professional.  i wish you all the best and i'm sure this will take off in a big way.  Without trying to promote my site, my other passion is mk2 golfs, and i'm the founder member of the mk2 golf owners' club www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk.  As it's only been running for a few months we are also finding our feet, but have our 1st stand at Ultimate dubs.  The homepage is naff though and we intend to update both the homepage and forum.  if i can give you any help or advise please ask.

Anyway, i'm hoping to get the G-funk pretty much back to standard, and will probably need your help and advise.  I'd also like to arrange a Southwest meet at sometime in the future.  i will post pics up in due course.  God i need to travel all the way to Scotland to pick her up lol.

take care all

Chris

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
Re: Newbie G40
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 08:04:51 pm »
Nice one good luck with it, sounds like a good price. You got a link to the aution? They arent as nice to drive as a Golf but they are bloody good fun which more than makes up for it.

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: Newbie G40
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 08:10:38 pm »
good luck mate with the project!  im loving the sounds of getting it back to standard like deffo!

keep us posted!
dan

Offline Dougy

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Newbie G40
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 08:22:23 pm »
I saw that G40 on ebay seems a nice buy

Welcome aswell

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: Newbie G40
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 09:15:25 pm »
welcome!  I think you're our first user who has just found us and signed up rather than being pointed here from club polo or was waiting for this place to be updated.

Offline G40_FUNK

• Members
  • Chris
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Newbie G40
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 09:37:50 pm »
Thanks guys, i'd appreciate comments and advice good or bad.  Seller tells me the supercharger was serviced 4k miles ago, and they need servicing every 10k.  Apparently its a jabbasport supercharger.  Anyway, here's the link...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220206566714&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012

Offline G40_FUNK

• Members
  • Chris
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Newbie G40
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 09:42:00 pm »
Are parts easy to come by and relatively cheap?  Arches and trim are well expensive for mk2 golf gtis, 150 quid for a set easy.  i take it the grill is universal for all mk3 models.  i have found a guy on ebay that sells G40 front badges and Polo G40 rear badges - not cheap though.

What sort of mpg should i be looking to get on this?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Newbie G40
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 09:55:32 pm »
depends what parts really... you're in the right place to find stuff though.  arch trims usually go for somewhat less than £150!  But then it mainly just depends on finding the right set for sale at the right time.

The grill is the same but most have a silver badge and a G40 or GT should have a black one.  Although you could paint a silver one if needs be.  

MPG depends how you drive it, can get 35mpg if you drive like a granny.  <20 if you have a lead right foot.

Ask him for a certificate from jabba about the service and/or phone jabba about it.  Seems like a good car for the money though!

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Newbie G40
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 10:05:33 pm »
I can easy get 35mpg out of mine with some hard driving and some pottering. Is the pulley standard on it, if so 10k for a service on the charger is a bit excessive.

Offline G40_FUNK

• Members
  • Chris
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Newbie G40
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 10:25:12 pm »
Not sure - will ask.  Cheers

Offline G40_FUNK

• Members
  • Chris
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Newbie G40
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 07:06:20 pm »
Well guys i'm gutted, got back last night from Ultimate Dubs and had a PM waiting for me on ebay.  Basically the guy selling her has turned around and said there is now lots of problems with the car, quote...

"Hi Chris, to be perfectly honest, over the last few days the oil leak seems to be getting worse, and for some reason the immobiliser cut in whilst I was driving it on Friday. You seem to have plenty on your plate at the moment and I feel that this car may cause you more problems than joy!
The car is okay but I feel the problems are only going to get worse and you could probably get something more reliable with less cost to your self"

I have a funny feeling he's saying this as he didn't get what he wanted for the car, but there again i can't take any risks and need a reliable G40.  Worst thing is i olready told him i'd booked the train ticket from Glos to Scotland, which has cost me 40 quid!!!  I can't get any money back as i didn't take the insurance option; taking his word that it was a good reliable car.

I'm gutted as i was really lookin forward to a G40, i've always wanted one.  Had a good look at a few at Ultimates.  So if you guys see a G40 for around the 2K mark, could you please let me know.

Many thanks

Chris

Offline G40_FUNK

• Members
  • Chris
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Newbie G40
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 09:35:40 am »
Well i've spoken again to the seller, and he's trying to get it sorted.  I'm going to pop up and see it.  Hopefully it will be ok by the end of the month - keep you guys updated.  Fingers crossed.

Offline Raw

• Members
  • It ain't dubbin 'less her thighs are rubbin'
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Newbie G40
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 12:55:09 pm »
There are alot of G40's up for sale on clubpolo at the moment, 4 on the 1st page! I don't know if any of them are good buys but I think that is were you're most likely to find the one for you.

Offline G40_FUNK

• Members
  • Chris
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Newbie G40
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 03:32:48 pm »
[quote pid=394 author=Raw date=1205844909]There are alot of G40's up for sale on clubpolo at the moment, 4 on the 1st page! I don't know if any of them are good buys but I think that is were you're most likely to find the one for you.[/quote]

Yeah, but they're all 2k plus.  I'm going to collect the G40 from Scotland and hope for the best.  If it needs a little work thats fine.  On the way back im collecting BBS 13" alloys and all the trim bits to make it look original.  I still think the sellers trying to put me off as he only got 1200 quid for it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 03:34:25 pm by G40_FUNK »

Offline G40_FUNK

• Members
  • Chris
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Newbie G40
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 09:34:27 am »
Well i picked this off and drove it back from scotland on saturday.  Bodywise car is excellent and has had a very good respray.  No rust or rot issues at all, which is great.  However, the oiul leak turned out to be worse than thought, and the head gasket was replaced.  I had to pay another 300 quid for this.

Only thing im not happy about is the fact that the gears change in 2nd and 5th seem difficult at times to engage, especially 2nd.  I've been told gear box is a big job, so hoping its something simple.  It has the arch trims but they are the same colour as the car.

I'll put a few pics up once i've got the BBS alloys on her.  Please let me know advice with the gear issue.