Author Topic: 1341 boring round berkshire  (Read 3894 times)

Offline sean

• Members
1341 boring round berkshire
« on: May 23, 2009, 12:24:29 am »
Anyone kno any places round Berkshire that would it to my standerd g40 block
Also wat forged pistons should I buy for it?
Realy need to kno cheers  :)

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
Re: 1341 boring round berkshire
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 10:37:54 am »
Try ringing a few local garages around your way and asking them if they could recommend a machine shop to get re-bores and general machining done. If they are a descent garage then im sure they wil point you in the direction of someone they use. You just need a re-bore and honing at 77mm (2mm larger than standard).

As for the pistons, i think most, if not all, would advise the Wossner 77mm as they retain the standard 8.0:1 compression ratio. Be aware that the Accralite version raises the compression ratio to 9.0:1.

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 12:22:23 pm »
Local garages should point you in the right direction, but i'd go for one recommended for performance builds as preference. Make sure you find out the +/- bore tolerance for the pistons you get, so that the re-bore company can check they can cater for it. I know some of the 1341 builds with Accralite pistons suffer from a clatter noise until they warm up due to oval shape when cold. My 1473cc has Accralite pistons, but fortunately I don't get the start up clatter noise.

Offline sean

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 12:31:18 pm »
thanks for the advice I'll look into it, I just wanted to take it somewere were they have dine a few so no mistakes if u get were I'm coming from, were would be the best place to buy the pistons? How much are the conrods and arp bolts?

Actualy a realy helpfull forum unlike some others :)

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 12:38:54 pm »
Custom H beam con rods will set you back an arm and leg, and i wouldn't even entertain them unless you plan on running silly boost levels? As for ARP fasteners, they are not available off the shelf for the G40 standard con rods. This doesn't mean you can't utilise some though....
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 12:40:54 pm by Nick_S »

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 01:11:16 pm »
apparently its 77mm after the honing, if they do it to 77mm then hone, it'll be too big.

i'd take them a piston with spec sheets in

pete

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 03:25:23 pm »
I thought about getting some forged rods and apr fasteners when i was speccing my build originally, but upon doing some research and speaking to various people, the standard rods are perfectly fine to run as long as they are in good condition in the first place. All the G40 cup cars ran on standard rods with no problem and the same goes for a few circa 200bhp G40's as well. Unless you really want to go 'all out' then i wouldn't worry, the cost outways the benefit unless you running silly silly power. The same goes for the apr fasteners, they arn't needed, just ensure that you correctly use brand new genuine VW parts and they will hold up no worries..

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 07:08:25 pm »
Nick, the clatter noise you describe isn't necessarily a sign of bad machining- the expansion rates of forged pistons is slower than cast equivalents, one of the reasons OEMs won't use them generally. So long as they're smooth when warm there's little cause for concern.

Offline sean

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 04:53:43 pm »
right thanks for the help been hunting around, if I got it bored out to 1341 wat exact forged pistons would I need? And would I need anything ealse to buy to put it back together?

Yoof, I want a subframe aswell , I also want a chat with ya, u got a contact number?

Offline goosyganger

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 11:08:09 am »
Hi mate,
If you dont mind driving a little there is a fella in surrey that I use. He is awesome. He's been around for years i think he is about 70 odd years old. He did all my work, honing, crank balancing, flywheel lightening, and his son does all the head work to race spec. and the prices are VERY reasonable. also he gave me a great price on all my rebuild stuff. He seems to have loads of supplier contacts in the UK and in germany and can probably get you a good price on pistons and rods. If you want his details give me a pm and ill get the address.

Nik

Offline sean

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 12:06:33 am »
It's ok now mate, got a mate who's realy clued up on it!
Il give u a shout if I need any help