Author Topic: DIY Overhaul  (Read 4716 times)

Offline BrettG40

• Members
DIY Overhaul
« on: April 25, 2009, 11:13:24 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm kind of deciding wether to overhaul my charger myself or sending it away to say Jabba or pitstop an let them overhaul it, not sure what would be best really? it's not my daily at the moment so it'll be easier to get the work done either way.
Everybody's thoughts are welcome!

B.

Offline NealPeal

• Members
  • Stupid is as stupid does
    • LightDiodeDesignsUK YouTubeChannel (Fun of all sorts)
Re: DIY Overhaul
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 12:23:10 pm »
I saw a set of bearings, belts and vanes on E-Bay the other day,
Anyone got a re-build manual I could peruse, I don't think I would trust myself, but there again I have re-built the engine OK, is it that hard?

Any special tools involved?

regards
NEAL

Offline polo classic

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 08:47:47 pm »
ebay and g-lader parts to do not go well together......

As for rebuiling it, I would send it to G-werks

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 11:50:15 am »
PeteG40 on here can do it for you and sumwhat cheaper i think.
Plus he will change all the bearings where Jabba are renowned for
only replacing what they think are worn.
sup 2 you.

Fred.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 12:10:57 pm »
ahem,
I can tell you the bearing part numbers and where to source seals from.

I've helped friends out in the past but don't do it on a regular basis. Myself and from what i've seen Jabba, PSD, G-werks don't replace the end bearing in the exhaust housing - as they don't really wear, are very expensive and are a b1tch to remove.

Offline NealPeal

• Members
  • Stupid is as stupid does
    • LightDiodeDesignsUK YouTubeChannel (Fun of all sorts)
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 01:03:37 pm »
I like to have a go at everything, I've got till september till I can drive it... I'm not porting or anything. Just making sure it'll (hopefully) keeping it going for next while. I am still amazed at how it actually works, so I really want to look inside.
There was a brand new VAG g40 unit on ebay, buy it now a few months ago, £240. Not realising an overhaul is similar price, wish I'd got it.
I'll heed the advice about the not-wearing bearing, many thanks. And I'd appreciate the bearing numbers if that's ok...

Kind regards
NEAL

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 01:27:44 pm »
There was a brand new VAG g40 unit on ebay, buy it now a few months ago, £240. Not realising an overhaul is similar price, wish I'd got it.

I wouldn't be too worried about that.  Although those will have done 0 miles they'll have been sat on a shelf for getting on for 20 years.  If you had one you'd probably want to replace all the seals in it anyway and check the condition of the grease in the bearings.  Rubber perishes over time when it's left to sit and grease dries out.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 01:29:30 pm »
the bearing part numbers

6304.c3  - main bearing - oem is FAG, quite easy to get hold of - or SKF are also decent and used by PSD
6003.c3.2rs - countershaft bearing -  oem is FAG, quite easy to get hold of - or SKF are also decent and used by PSD
6002.c3.2rs - countershaft bearing - oem is FAG, quite easy to get hold of - or SKF are also decent and used by PSD
nu202e.m1a - oem is fag and this is the one that is rarely replaced.

RNA 4905 - scroll bearing.  OEM is torrington - PSD and I tent to use IKO brand bearings.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 01:32:09 pm by PeteG40 »

Offline BrettG40

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 07:42:40 pm »
Thanks for part numbers pete, i will most likely do it myself, because surely its better that way replacing everything rather than sending it away for somebody to replace only the things that have worn?

Offline Raw

• Members
  • It ain't dubbin 'less her thighs are rubbin'
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 12:20:16 pm »
All this talk about bearings but none about seals; you need to change both bearing/shaft and apex seals during a service, get them from gladerseite.de along with some "special glue" - or risk them blowing out (like mine did). Also you should know that under the apex seals are springs that aren't available to buy new. They are completely reusable but easily damaged/lost if you don't know they're there.

I opened mine up myself with the guidance of somebody who had done it before. It's quite easy but there are lots of opportunities for fu*king it up, due to the soft materials and high tolerances. Even removing and refitting the charger to the car isn't as straightforward as it may look.

As for special tools you will need some internal circlip pliers and a seal puller with one of the hooks cut off.

My advice is only do it yourself if you have somebody who has done it before to show you and help if it goes wrong.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 12:29:33 pm »
also if you drift the bearings in you can damage the casings/scroll.

apex and oil seals - jabba sell them, as do gladersiete