Author Topic: While my engine is in bits...  (Read 2006 times)

Offline LiamM45

• Members
While my engine is in bits...
« on: April 14, 2009, 04:58:54 pm »
Right, ripping the head off mine at the end of the month to assess the damage from the timing belt's departure.

Whilst it is in bits I may as well take the opportunity to uprate parts.

Bare with me here, as I am pretty new to G40 tuning, and not too clued up...

First thing, I've noticed mention of '1341cc' G40s, is this just literally using different pistons to create the extra CC? Are parts to do this readily available?

I've also noticed and heard of people using a 1.5 diesel block, but it seems quite uncommon.

I'm basically aiming for a reliable 200bhp before I start chassis mods. I know it's going to take some work with the pulleys with the Eaton charger but I want to make sure the engine itself can handle the power properly.

Any links/advice/guidance is much appreciated.  :)

Oh, I know it is not going to be cheap :) haha...

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: While my engine is in bits...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 05:27:39 pm »
Personally I'd go about it the otherway round... chassis mods, then power.

You'll end up with a 200bhp G40 that wheelspins in 3rd and goes nowhere fast otherwise!

1341cc is the 'normal' overbore for the 1272cc block, using either JE, Accralite, Wossner or CP Pistons (don't think they list G40 anymore though), depending on your compression ratio target will depend which piston you choose- all are a well trodden path.

You can use a 1.5 1W crank in a PY block to stroke a G40 (I think what Sorg sold as a stroker kit ages ago...frode?) But you're looking at a fair chunk of cash ontop of a normal rebuild. Cranks are available from VAG, you can use the 1W block but personally I wouldn't.

I'd sink some cash into components that make the car fast and reliable, not ones that give good dyno figures  :)

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
Re: While my engine is in bits...
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 08:01:26 pm »
You'll end up with a 200bhp G40 that wheelspins in 3rd and goes nowhere fast otherwise!

errrr, whoops! lol.