Author Topic: Spring rates, help! (updated 13-04)  (Read 7249 times)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Spring rates, help! (updated 13-04)
« on: April 04, 2009, 01:32:06 pm »
I need an answer to this fairly quickly, as the coilovers are due to be going on fairly soon.

I got my Gaz coilovers last weekend, and having unpacked one of the front struts they've supplied the kit with 275lbs springs. This, I understand, is very hard for a road car.

I'm not that bothered about ride quality, but I don't want something which will be so hard I won't want to drive the car.

What would you reckon is an ideal spring rate for a car which does most of its time on the road, but gets the occasional track thrashing?

I'll get the springs swapped over this week then.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 05:39:37 pm by Alex »

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: Spring rates, help!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 02:38:45 pm »
200 front

180 rear

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 02:46:37 pm »
Gaz list the "standard" springs with the kit as 8" long 250lb front and 9" long 180lb rear.
I'm sure Phil used to supply them with 225lb and 180lb springs unless otherwise spec'd.
I would think either 225 or 200lb for the front would be ideal for the type of use you're after.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 04:24:43 pm »
Cool, thanks I'll get that sorted this week then. :)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 08:12:33 pm »
alex, I've got some 8" 225lb springs on my coilovers at the moment but want something stiffer. Would you be interested in doing a swap?  The springs have done zero miles.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 02:52:02 am »
Actually, that's not a bad idea! Would that be fronts and rears?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 08:17:40 pm »
they are fronts.  Do you have your coilovers yet?  Are the front springs 8" long, are they def 275lb or 225l with 50lb helper springs?

Offline giorgio

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 10:27:14 pm »
If there are some 'track' springs going I will take them to use as a startig point on my coilies

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 10:47:47 am »
I'm going to check them again this evening to make sure (I've been in Cardiff for a few days and they're up in Peterborough) but I'm pretty sure they're 275lbs springs up front, that's what the (admittedly fairly unclear) label said anyway.

The possible issue with swapping springs with people is that Gaz are expecting coverage of the fitting process, so I'd need to have black springs going on. It may be easier to just swap them back with Gaz from that point of view.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 11:13:34 am »
ah Ok, the springs I have are blue so yeah maybe they wouldn't be too happy about that!  Not too worry I'll just buy some from Rally Design, I might try these 225lb springs on the back anyway!

Offline The Duck

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 01:55:29 pm »
I have some FK coilover springs that are standard which should be great for the track. I am after trialling swopping them out for some softer rate coils. Does anyone know the rate of these? I have the rear FK code but not the front.

If anyone is interested in doing some swopping over/interchanging to get an idea please give me a shout. This may be permanent/temporary but we can discuss. Does anyone have some softer coilover springs I can try out?

Yoof, you sure the 200/180 combo is spot on for road?

I wanna make sure I don't waste any Duck bread shelling out on the wrong spring rates!

Cheers

Duck

;)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 05:39:21 pm »
I've checked my springs this afternoon.

The fronts are 7x2.25" x 275lbs springs, and the rears are 160lbs springs!

Isn't that really hard up front, and fairly soft at the back?

I can alter the stiffness on the back anyway, but I think I'll swap for softer fronts.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: Spring rates, help! (updated 13-04)
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 06:27:32 pm »
Alex- who specified those rates!? That's really random...!

200lb/225lb for the front with a decent shock will be fine, approx 180lb for the back if you've got an interior & spare wheel etc is also comfortable.

If you want better turn in/ a snatchier rear end up the rear rate.

Worth remembering for anyone running stupid camber the effective spring rate will reduce the further away from a perpendicular line you go, something to take into consideration anyway.

Alex, 7.5" also sound quite a short spring, I guess you'd get 2" of travel with it approx 50mm lowered?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 06:37:36 pm »
alex if you want to swap I think those front springs you have would be ideal for me.  The ones I have are 8" long 225lb.  I guess your only problem is that they are blue and not purple, nothing a rattle can can't sort out though?

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 08:21:20 pm »
It's a bit of a random one this really, because of the coverage involved and how it's all been arranged.

The original plan was for me to go down there and they'd make up the kit to my specifications and fit it in their workshop. So I was going to post on here a few days before I went down and ask what would be best, then get that fitted to the car.

But then the clutch let go, so I had to put off the trip down there. The suspension turned up at my parents house a week or so later, so I didn't get to specify spring rates at all. That's just what Gaz have supplied.

It's getting to the point where I'm half tempted to swap tbh, just get a pic of them fitting the rears and take a shot of the fronts off the car. I'll see what Gaz say tomorrow, but I'm going to try and change the lot. I'm used to the car having a fairly snatchy back end on the Spax kit, so I think I'll up the spring rates to 180lbs.

Is it better to go for 8" ones all round then? I assume less travel means a harder ride.

Sorry, I'm learning but I'm new to this! If I'd been faced with these choices when I fitted the Spax in 2001 I'd probably have put it on and just learned the hard way.