Author Topic: 1341 or 1272 turbo setup - possibilities...  (Read 3824 times)

Offline DaveG40

• Members
1341 or 1272 turbo setup - possibilities...
« on: April 23, 2008, 01:18:31 pm »
Afternoon All,

My first post here although I have the same username as on ED38, CP, DF etc etc...

I'm a victim of the G40 bug - refinement, 4WD etc are all nice things - but there is always that bit that makes me want another lightly tuned G40 like my old one, engine spec was:

1272cc 8v Supercharged
Jabba Stage 4 Supercharger
PSD 68mm Toothed Belt / Pulley Setup
Std G40 Inlet Manifold
Std G40 Injectors
Poloace ECU chip
K+N Airfilter and Custom Heatshield
BRV Mod
Samco Hosing
De-wedged Throttle Body
PSD 4 Branch and System
BMW 330D Intercooler

All in all this made a very quick, fun car in my GT chassis - I had tuned that aswell but thats for another topic...lol

I was hoping a few of turbo nuts wouldn't mind discussing the feasibility of a 1272 turbo setup as the ones i've been looking at (andy's, LregG's) are mainly using 1341 built engines.

Is it possible you could set the turbo to boost nicely (without being harsh / violent in delivery) with a 1272 setup? Using a K03 similar to the rothe kit?

My concerns are injectors, turbo setup on 1272 as above and camshaft - would it be adviseable to use a different cam setup to keep everything from going pop?

There used to be a PSD kit list which i guess would explain most of the above but the forum is now full of spam and it seems to be quite a task sifting through - even a Beavis topic search wasn't helpful!

Thanks in Advance,

Dave

Offline pinky

• Members
Re: 1341 or 1272 turbo setup - possibilities...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 08:14:10 pm »
If your going to do it you might aswell do it properly and go the whole hog IMO

Offline Max

• Members
Re: Re: 1341 or 1272 turbo setup - possibilities...
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 09:15:55 am »
Im running a 1272cc Turbo with a Rothe manifold and K03, with the boost currently set at about a bar.  You could run higher boost if you want to but run the risk of making things go bang.  The power delivery isn't what I would call violet but there is a slight bit of lag when pulling from low revs which is to be expected, but going through the gears its fine.  People have compared it to a GT in the driveability which is a fair comment.

Regarding the cam im using the PSD Turbo one.

The arguement for doing it properly does speak the truth here but I decided to get other important components first like Emerald as I wasnt going to crank the boost up to 20psi from the off considering I was coming from a mildly modded GT.
1341 is something I will be doing in the future as its something that is definatly needed for running higher boost.

I think if you are only wanting a lightly tuned G40 then you could possibly go for a 1341 set up but run Digifant instead of Emerald?  Or 1341 and Emerald, depending on your budget of course and the scope for tuning you would like in the future.

Offline DaveG40

• Members
Re: Re: Re: 1341 or 1272 turbo setup - possibilities...
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 01:38:51 pm »
For now costs put me off 1341 builds...

Ideally i'm after a similar output from the car as the original spec, using a K03 as opposed to the g-lader on toothed belts.

Can i ask - is the cam the only head modification? have you had a RR plot done following the work? I'd be interested to see if you have one handy?

Also fuelling - greens or reds on yours?

Thanks for the reply - some good info there

Dave
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 01:41:42 pm by DaveG40 »

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: Re: Re: Re: 1341 or 1272 turbo setup - possibilities...
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 02:35:01 pm »
My 1341cc recently made 175bhp on 15psi of boost with a stock cylinder head and PSD turbo cam running on Emerald. I'm using 315cc injectors, but wouldn't be troubling 250cc items either.

Dave Walker said it was a waste of time winding the boost up further, but Yoof's dyno runs on a similar Digifant setup prove that's not the case - so I'm currently finishing off tweaking the setup to run around 20psi. Will then get some dyno time and switch between my 15psi and 20psi maps to see who's right.

I'm not completely convinced by Mr Walker - my car pinked its arse off when I left his premises, so I had to edit the map I'd just paid him to do!

The best bit about the Emerald system is the electronic boost control and switchable map options. I can tweak my boost levels on my laptop, and currently have the 15psi 175bhp map saved alongside a 7psi 133bhp base map. At the flick of a switch I can change the car from fairly nippy, to pretty rampant.

Once I've got the vehicle speed sensor input sorted out I'll be able to get Emerald to limit my boost (and hence limit torque) in lower gears - which should enhance traction and driveability further, as well as helping to prolongue gearbox life.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 02:41:23 pm by Andy »