Author Topic: Are g40's actually "that" quick  (Read 8940 times)

Offline josé

• Members
Re: Are g40's actually "that" quick
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 05:37:06 pm »
12.5s i new i'd regret not going to santa pod this weekend  >:(

My mate bought himself a punto GT last year and was saying he'd blitz my G40 an old vw scrapper he joked, how wrong he was, pulled up at some lights after abit of thrash his face was a picture,

I reckon mine is only 130ish bhp and its on a diet, but when the boot goes down it feels so much quicker than it should do compared to newer cars of equal power and size,

clio 172's should romp all over a G but i kept up with one last nite until he backed off to spare himself the humiliation  ;D

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 05:42:59 pm »
People seem to get tied up in power figures etc.

A quick car is one that you can plant your foot fully in second and launch with no problems, chassis & drivetrain are very overlooked in my opinion.

Spend some time & cash in certain areas of a G40 and you can have a massive impact upon its real point to point speed.

I've been thinking about a 150bhp turbo'd G40 as a daily for ages now, I might get round to doing it one day...with a decent suspension set-up and sorted chassis you'd need a fairly quick car to beat it.

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 07:28:54 pm »
12.5 yoof you massive dick head! :D

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 08:11:22 pm »
 ;D

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 08:28:37 pm »
Bloody hell Pete, you've run a 12.5??? :o :o :o
FFS, that's a massive leap over the already hugely impressive 13.1 you ran last year.
What differences have you made to the car since last year then or is it just mucho tweaking??
C'mon, do tell all.

Offline Shailan

• Members
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 08:54:36 pm »
12.5 that's quick!

Anyway what we must remember is the qeight of the G is very light, and with over 150BHP in a car that weighs less than 900kg will make it very quick. When we talk of quick lets say acceleration - because G40's accelerate rapidly!

I had a bit of a race the on sunday against a new Golf GTI 200bhp version, not edition 30. he was not amused as I wanted to overtake.

in standard form 8 years ago i raced a vr6 golf from the lights to 80mph. at the next set of lights he said - polo!! it was neck and neck.

the best race i had was in 4th gear at 70mph - with my cousin driving my subaru impreza 300bhp again in 4th gear we both floored it and before the turbo spooled up on that scoob i wa 2 cars ahead in the g. that's the power of the supercharger.
i would however never race the scoob, but it shows you can have fun in the G and astonish most cars on the road. even if you don't beat them.

Offline DMWG40

• Members
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2009, 03:31:19 pm »
I always found the best way to drive your G is to get a head and not just follow, if you just stick with them your wasting your power advantage of the charger.
basically blitz them and then by the time they catch up its over.

the difference between older fast cars and newer cars is you feel the speed in the older cars.
sit at 100 in your G and see how it feels, do that in any new modern day car it just doesn't feel the same. my dads zafaira at 100 feels like nothing, no driving feeling at all.

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2009, 09:10:33 pm »
Good topic this. Some really good points being made too in my opinion.

I personally think its the 'old car', 'new car' situation. An old car seems quicker and generally gives you more of a 'driving' experinece and feel, be it driving or in the passenger seat (not that it means all new cars dont give good feel).

Due to the stringent safety regs new cars are put through this means that they have to be bigger and heavier in general - back when the G's were in production many cars were smaller and lighter. 113bhp in a car of today would almost certainly not give the same sort of drive and experince of fun and speed. Just cant compare new to old really.

When i had my G as standard i thought it was quick for what it was and the fact that it would embarrass much newer more powerful motors was always a real pleaser. I like the fact that its not an obviously quick car to look at - makes it all the better!

G40's are quick for what they are: a small coupe from the early 90's with a 1.3 engine.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2009, 09:52:51 pm »
My local road to hell is the A9 Perth to Inverness,110 miles of exasperation unless I'm in the G. I've had a few jaunts up and down in big beasty Mercs;the G covers the ground quicker,with no brown moments. A fortnight after I sold my old one I realised something special was missing from my life and I bet I'm not the only sad bastard to feel that.

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2009, 10:56:59 pm »
My local road to hell is the A9 Perth to Inverness,110 miles of exasperation unless I'm in the G. I've had a few jaunts up and down in big beasty Mercs;the G covers the ground quicker,with no brown moments. A fortnight after I sold my old one I realised something special was missing from my life and I bet I'm not the only sad bastard to feel that.

nope you ain't!

i sold my G 3yrs ago and bought it back off the guy i sold it to a year later!

The G will always be in my life!

Offline LiamM45

• Members
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 09:13:32 pm »
I had no issues disposing of a 58 plate Mk5 R32 yesterday, from 80-1**mph he couldn't stick with me. I thought he would be quicker at those sort of speeds... unfortunately, he wasn't the one going home on a trailer  :(

I would say mine, in a straight line, is on par with today's modern hatches, round corners, they are just another league though, obviously!

Offline NealPeal

• Members
  • Stupid is as stupid does
    • LightDiodeDesignsUK YouTubeChannel (Fun of all sorts)
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 04:58:40 pm »
 I find, it depends how heavy you are and how many passengers...
 My (stock) G has more HP/Tonne than a TT, but if I have a large passenger it makes a large difference.. It is fastest car I've ever been in from 80 to 120, and its untuned, factory default.!
IMO, if I can spend 3/4hr chasing a decent looking boxster down the M5, up and down hills, (I got it to a ridiculous speed down portishead bridge after hitting the top of the hill at 120) with the  porshe just unable to get away, that'll do from my (originally) £600 car.... ! And I've sat at 120 for an hour with no grumble, couldn't say that about my race tuned (MED) metro engines.

Keep the faith!, you have just got used to the G force and after a bit it has become normal. Drive a 1.4 astra for a few weeks and try again... Look at the shock on VR6's faces when they get flown past by a very very normal looking mk3 polo...! Makes life almost worthwile :-).
NEAL

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2009, 02:40:36 pm »
I don't think its a case of them actually being "that" fast, maybe more a case of no-one expects them to be "that" fast.

I like that, I think it sums it up pretty well.  No one at spring fest was giving yoofs car a second glance until he did his first run and got a 12.5!

Wow! didn't think that the 13sec barrier had been broken! What's the spec?

Offline dannyb.G40

• Members
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2009, 08:16:23 pm »
http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=144597

There are two youtube vids at the bottom of yoof's post, very impressive!

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 09:35:07 pm »
Just got my G in reasonable fettle for the summer and today, having nursed the charger for 400 miles after service, it got to go. A Focus ST thinking I was too slow asked me to get out of his way on a roundabout with a lot of horn. We took the same exit, he came up inside me and nailed it. I went with him and at 110 he still hadn't got his nose in front. This was a pity cos there was a truck in his lane and he damn near went under it as he braked . He took it well though, a flash of the lights and a wave(well I think it was a wave) and he nipped down an off ramp. That's a G with 130 horses.